Plugs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Wilson

Reaction score
Hey, all. Question. Got 122,000 on the Trac. Running great! Pulls smooth, idles smooth, starts right up hot or cold. Original plugs. Should I change them, or see if I can get another 10-15,000 miles or so. Thanks ina advance!:eek:nline:

At that milage I would change the plugs and wires. Im sure you will notice the difference. Even though performance seems ok. The loss is gradual, and most dont notice. Especialy if they dont hot rod.

Why wait until a plug or a wire goes bad. Totaly craps out. Then your in a misfire situation. Put in an emergency tune up.

My dads grand marquis was the same way. At 105k miles. He didnt notice the difference. Until I changed the plugs for him.

My '03 ran more than a bit rough at 130,000.

From drive to park it would idle down and

almost die. It also missed occasionally at idle. Mileage was down, but still not to bad.

I decided the plugs needed changed....Changed plugs & wires on 4, 5 & 6 without to

much difficulty but 1, 2, & 3 kicked my azz.

Gave up and went to Ford and had them change 1,2&3 for 130$...I supplied the plugs and wires. You can DIY for about $60+ or have it done for about $260 + parts.

Runs much, much better now. It was probably way past time for new ones....the platinum wire on the orig motorcraft plugs was completely gone and the gap was 0.100 (shud be .052-.056).

Back in the day it was .49 cents a plug, 4.95 for wires (V8) and you could change them

in 1/2 hour. But then, minimum wage was .75 cents an hour!:grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto Eddie, the factory recommended interval is 100K. Primary concern is the OEM plugs could seize in the aluminum heads. You may also find the drivers side electrodes worn with gaps that are much wider than the .054 spec. Use OEM Motorcraft SP500, Autolite APP103 or XP103 plugs for proven results. Antiseize and dielectric grease optional for another 100K.

[Broken External Image]:

Screechy removal at 61K, exactly HALF your mileage. Only Chevron 87 octane regular or E10 fuel used.

LOL Gavin! IIRC, they ALL measured between .075 and .085 with a feeler gauge.

Surprising that the idle held rock steady at 700 RPM in drive with the stock coil.

i had my don at the same 122,00 my gap was .115 or so ran well new autolite plat. and ford wires starts even better by at rock auto or auto parts tommoro go on line for discount code :haveabeer::banana:

Latest posts