Plugs and Wires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Cohn

Reaction score
I know that this post is beating a dead horse, but here we go. I am changing the plugs on my 02 st with 98k on it for the first time. I like to use autolite double platinum. Is that a wise choice? Also i heard it is not neccessary to change out the wires, is that penny wise and dollar foolish if I am already donating blood to the engine compartment, and I promise I won't forget the anti-seize. Any input would be appreciated.

I _just_ replaced with double platinums and I also did the wires. The truck runs superbly with the new plugs, but that *might* be because the stock motorcraft plugs hadn't been changed in eons.

I also replaced the wires, and since the motorcraft wires suck (become one with the plug, broke into 5 pieces upon removal) I'd replace them as well.

Someone just posted about busting up their hand on spark plugs 2 & 3, but I took advice of other members here and went in through the wheel well. Just watch out for the toilet float "" that is mounted to the inside front of the passenger wheel well liner. It came out, but it didn't want to come back in--also, there are a few wires and tubes attached to the liner, but they come out problem free.

I got some frustration out of it, but going in through the wheel well left me injury free. Since I don't believe you can actually _see_ the spark plugs looking down from the hood, it'd be touch 'n go to get them in and out, and that failed in my experience with it.

Good Luck.

I just replaced my plugs this weekend with Autolite platinums and I went ahead and ordered wires through zabteck. As for plug #2,3 the easiest way is to remove the passenger tires and unbolt the tranny dipstick. You can get a socket in there a bit better.:cool:

Your best bet is to go with Motorcraft plugs, but here is the Autolite part nos.

http://www.power-21.com/honeywellpower21i/Application.aspx?b=A&vt=1

A couple of yrs. ago I went with Taylor-Vortex wires and they have performed well, and they come in various colors; check Summitracing.com for part nos.