Places to hide things inside Sport Trac?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Mitchell

Reaction score
Hello,

Was wondering if anyone has come up with any good hiding places in their Sport Trac? I want to hide my gun (legal) to keep it from getting stolen when I can't take it in somewhere. I was thinking somehow inside the passenger seat, but am a little afraid to go slicing into seams. Mine a 2002 with plain cloth seats. It seems possible to maybe sew a bag inside the back of the seat. Anyone do this or have any other ideas?

Thanks

I used the compartment that had the factory subwoofer. I would stick the pistol between the subwoofer and the side of the compartment. Works well.

Have a good one

Bob

copy from other post that i replied to

"As a law enforcement officer you should be familiar with 5.11. 5.11 makes a Velcro holster that is made to attach to the inside pockets of the 5 in 1 jacket, or class B pants etc... I took this and some industrial sticky Velcro and hid this under my dash. So basically I always have access to my Glock 26 when I'm in my truck.. I positioned it in a way that it is easy to get to, and because its Velcro in a high stress scenario you can always just grab it and rip it off to un holster. I know plenty of officers that have taken this idea and mounted firearms else where in other cars. As far as hiding it behind the seats, i don't see this idea being the best place as it is not readily accessible in the event you need it. "

www.511tactical.com

Item number 59002

Fully adjustable so it fits any basic firearm (compact - subcompact) but also will fit Glock 17 and 21..

I'd say try to rig up something under the rear seat. I have a small hard-sided gun case for my 9mm, NTSB-approved for airline travel, that will fit under the seat. Of course if I need it quick I'm S.O.L. but I check the carry laws in other states for reciprocity when I travel.

My previous Trac was broken into at the dealer when left overnight for service, they stole my XM and all my CD's but never looked in the drawers under the rear seat where I had a $400 Valentine ONE radar detector. Also the XM receiver was a paperweight as soon as I called XM to report it stolen, but I figure the thieves thought it was a GPS.

All I'm saying is that most criminals probably won't think to look under the rear seat if you just need a place to stash something.

You can buy a gun safe. It is designed with a cable the wraps around your seat posts. In Ohio, it is considered a lockable perminant gun storage location.

Tom

If you have a high console, you could always fashion a hiding place under the rubber mat at the front of the console. Keep a small shelf to rest a piece of aluminum on and place the rubber mat back over it. Hidden. Easy.

Like going to lenths to protect your st from getting stolen, or protecting any valuables inside your trac, the endevour is fruitless.

A pro can ransack the entire interior in minutes, pros have tools, cables can easily be cut.

Find a place under the hood, pros do not have the time to search the engine compartment

Bill, I'm going to respectfully comment on your post.

Your suggestion of under the hood is interesting. Of course, then you probably need to make sure you keep the gun in a water-proof case as areas under the hood are prone to water and condensation. For that reason it wouldn't be my first place to store a gun...more likely my last.

Your comments about the pros are right-on. I agree, they have the tools, etc.

But that's not a reason to NOT try to secure your belongings, especially a gun, in the cab of the ST. The reason I say that is because I have heard police warn that a majority of theft, including stealing of items from vehicles, falls under what the police call "crimes of opportunity".

A crime of opportunity is encouraged when one:

a. Leaves a GPS unit (or radar detector) suction-cupped to their dash or windshield

b. Leaves their wallet in a cup-holder in the console for all to see

c. Keeps big binder of CDs on the passenger seat

d. Fills their cupholder with shiny coins (especially the "silver" ones)

etc.

Someone walking down the road or through a parking lot gets "lured" by the items described above, and commits a "crime of opportunity", smashing a window, grabbing and dashing, all because it was made so easy for them. They may not even have been on the prowl.

So, I say, hide your gun. Secure it, keep it locked, keep it unloaded, and make it impossible to see and difficult to get to if someone ransacks your truck. Chances are, if you don't leave an "attractive lure", people will leave your vehicle alone and move on to, or be lured by the opportunity of another vehicle instead.

TJR

As the orig poster stated,when I can't take the gun in somewhere, as in a temp. hideing place.

While running errands, or going to the gym etc.

A glock 21 will easily fit under and open intake filter, under the fuse box, next to the blower moter.

Even the pros are not going to look under the hood for goods.

Bill,

Wouldn't raising the hood and putting a piece in the engine compartment raise awareness of having a gun?

The point I was trying to make is that one wants to NOT "draw attention" to their vehicle and their "stuff" as much as possible in order to lessen the liklihood that their vehicle and its belongings are targeted.

It's the same reason women are told that it is better to stuff their purse under a seat than to put it in a closed trunk or in the back of their vehicle through the liftgate while at the mall. There are people that are watching for those that do just that, and then target such vehicles because they know they are a "ripe target."

It is a lot harder to see someone stow a purse or a gun under or behind a seat then it would be for them to put that same object in a trunk, or under their hood. My point was to "not draw attention."

Whenever I see a hood go up in a parking lot it piques my interest. I suspect it might pique the interest of someone on the prowel as well.

TJR

Bill Barber,

Not sure what the "funky-eye smiley" means.

I'm also not sure why you are saying you are wrong. I never implied that you were wrong. I was merely trying to understand the merits of what you described and offer some concerns I had with it.

There are very few absolutes in this world. That's why I try not to tell people I think they are wrong or that I am right.

TJR

TJR, is your mission in life to always be right

even if you believe you are right (you may actually be wrong) you will be like a pit bull on a pork roast, you will expouse hundreds of factoids, until you you beat people down.

Thats your way, be it right or wrong.

your the man dude:wacko:

Bill,

Sorry you feel that way, Bill. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion of me.

It’s funny though. You can call my posts "DUMB", and that's okay and proper; but if I question you or discuss something politely you get quite perturbed.

It seems like one (or at least I) can't have a civilized conversation with you without you getting all bent out of shape as can be seen by your distorted “smileys” above.

So, in the future I will try to steer clear of any conversations with you and avoid inquiring about points you make in various threads.

Enjoy your day.

TJR

Latest posts