Pirelli Scorpions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Szkutak

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the 15 inch Pirelli Scorpions are a good choice for my '01 trac? They caught my eye at the tire store, and theyrer a good price ($110.00). (235/75/15) I currently have my second set of Dunlop RV XT, and i hate them...they look nice, but i cant make them last more than 20k no matter what i do....Plus they are $120.00...I like the Pirellis and i wanna try them, just wanted to see if anyone has them or had them on their trac and how were they?

Thanks

Andy

I had a set of Pirelli Scorpions on my 94 Toyota 4Runner... The variation of Scorpion I had was a pretty good tire though I recall they didn't last as long as I'd have liked them too. When I get home tonight I'll look at my old records and see if I can determine at about what mileage I replaced them.

I know of two people that have tried them (one on a toyota and one on a dodge ram 1500) and both experianced premature tire wear. I think that the Dodge only got about 40K kms (25K miles).

I've got about 30K on my 16" Pireelli Scorpions, and I expect to get at least another 10K out of them. When they wear out, I'm probably going with the same thing. Great balance of off road traction and highway ride quality.

I know you didn't ask for suggestions, but I put a set of Dayton Timberline's on my Trac (16") for $400 out the door, and they now have 20k on them and look and ride as good as new. Much better ride, handling and traction, as well as quieter than the Stock Wranglers. They are made by Bridgestone.

[Broken External Image]:

Hey Q, have you said anything positive since you've been a member here? Every time I read one of your posts it's just you doggin somebody else.

had the scorpions on my 01 for about a year.. very noisy tire... take a look at the firestone destinatin AT.. its supposed to be very quiet and only $88 plus shipping from tirerack.com

troy

I know a lot of people here swear by the Pirelli Scorpions and it was a very popular replacement tire for the Sport Trac back when the Firestone fiasco was in the news about 5 years ago.

I don't have Scorpions on my Sport Trac, but I never had much luck with Pirelli tires in the USA. Very poor mileage and only so-so wet weather traction. I have used Pirellis in Europe and found them to be great over there. So I guess the US make tires have different standards???

...Rich

MAn I think those tires look so bad!!! Don't think for a minute they're bad looking tires, the only thing I might would consider was keeping the white lettering in...But I'm not sure if thats "in" or "out" currently. Plus you gotta know they're bound to be lots better than those stock goodyears.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Had Pirella Scorpions on my 4X4 ranger -- majority of the mileage was highway, but had 69K on them when I sold the truck and the wear bars were not showing yet. Thanks for the info on the Dunlop's Randy, thats the exact tire I was looking at for my '02 trac. Got 62K on the stock Goodyears, but know they wont make it thru another Michigan winter. Maybe i'll go with the Revos....

Depends on the Scorpion. I have Pirelli Scorpion STRa tires on my Trac, friggin awesome.

Yep, that's my trac in the reviews at the below link.

I'm passing 10 or 15K miles on them, I can't remember anymore, I'm tired :)lol:), they barely look used in terms of tread.

I do have a gouge in the sidewall when some idiot in an explorer on the highway lost his skid plate, and I ran over it. I was pissed at the scratch, but lucky to have not been in a worse accident. I changed lanes, someone cut in front of me, I braked, went to change lanes again to avoid him, explorer unloaded the skid plate in front of me, I hit it, rolled right over it.

The tire held up, the gouge is pretty noticeable, I thought for sure it should have sliced the sidewall open.

But yes, it is a great tire, entirely electronically produced by robots, so there is no room for human's sticking icepicks in them to test them at the factory (damn firestone).

You are entitled to your opinion Q, and your poor grammar. But just so you know, I didn't buy them for you. Stick a pic of your Trac up here so we can see a GOOD looking Trac.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q may need “Hooked on Phonics” but he is right, those are not the best looking tires out there. When you post pictures and so one, you open yourself up for criticism, whether you ask for it or not.

Ape Out.

You know, you are right Ape. I apologize to you Q, and you too, Ape. You both have a right to be smart asses. I don't remember saying they were the best looking tires out there. But hey, that's ok. Life's too short to be the least bit upset about a couple of jerks. Have a great day!

I'm curious, what makes a "good looking " tire? They all look the same to me. Some are all black donuts, some have white lettering. So how will I be able to tell when one looks good and another looks bad? Perhaps the two fashion experts who posted earlier will answer my question.

So, that black ST with the black rims a few posts ago where you said "I don't like the look" What's up? You ever see that movie "Bambi" - If ya can't say nuthin nice, don't say nuthin at all.

Hey John, you are right. I did buy those tires for my other car, a Buick Regal, and I just put them on the wrong vehicle. Thanks for catching that! I meant to put the 22" black rims and the Monster Mudders on the Sport Trac. No wonder my wife has been complaining about the road noise when she takes the kiddies to soccer practice. I really appreciate you setting me straight. You still have the stock Wrangler rt's on your Trac don't you, John? Now there's a great looking tire for you. You have a nice day!

Latest posts