Pioneer Avic Z1

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Beil

Reaction score
From reading previous posts I see that a couple of you have the avic z1, wanted to get some opinions if you have the system how it has been. Looking to buy one. Does it fit directly into the dash or do i need additional parts?

Well I just installed a remanufactured D1 which was about $600 in an 04 sport trac. You'll need to do some filing. Dremel tool works great, to remove the lips of the dash openning for a true double din mounting. Scotsch also makes a dash kit for double din applications as well.

IMO double din is the way to go. The flip out screens will block your air vents.

I'll try to take a pic once I'm done. I'm about 95% finished.

Problem I'm having is finding the speed sensor input. If you have a speed sensitive stereo, where it gets louder as you drive faster, you can get that input from the radio plug. My vehicle is the basic model.

It fits perfectly in the dash, I love it and you will to. It has soo many features and it's a great bang for the buck compared to other units with similar features. You won't beat Pioneer's price when it comes to feature offerings. You do need to purchase an adaptor kit (~$20) and I would suggest purchaseing the wiring harness adaptor (~$20) as well. In addition to my Z1 I also have the rear view camera and Bluetooth phone adaptor. My rear view cam is mounted so it looks directly over my receiver ball mount so hooking up a trailer is a one man job. I love my Z1!!!!

And yes I have a 2007 ST.

Lil Red thanks for the opinions. Wow that rear camera might be a great option for me too I pull a trailor alot and it is a pain trying to get that ball lined up by yourself :)

MDRob, you've gotta get the rear view camera, especially if you pull a trailor. You can use the Z1 split screen to show both the rear cam and map screen at the same time. That way you can keep an eye on your trailor while driving. My only suggestion would be to go with another camera instead of the Pioneer model. It's okay, but more sutied for an RV where it can be mounted up really high to look down. Again, it's not a bad camera but you can find smaller models out there that are better. That is the ONLY thing that I would have done different.

Do you have the factory sub-woofer? If so, you'll be impressed with how well the Z1 (with no additional amps) boost the factory speakersand sub.

Send me an email and I will send you a list of everything that you'll need for your install, including the module for your steering wheel controls.

I have the Z1(w/cam and bluetooth) in my F-150 and its the best single thing I have ever done to a vehicle- the feature set eclipses the factory nav in our Sienna by a mile. I love the driver's view map, the split screen w/backup cam and with a $25 circuit flasher I can navigate on the fly. The only quibble is the phone menu- I can't make rapid fire calls without exiting and reentering the phone menu, but maybe I just haven't figured it out......:cool:

lasik, you are right you can't make qwik phone calls without exiting and then reentering the phone menu. If I had one area for suggested improvement on the Z1 it would be that you are returned to the previous screen instead of having to navigate from the main screen. For example, when you upload individual phone book entries via the Bluetooth, instead of it going back to the previous screen for you to enter the next entry, it goes back to the home screen. But overall compared to the factory nav system, it's functionality is by far superior and for about the same cost if you shop for the best deals.:cool:

I also have it in an '07 ST Limited and its great. Since we have auto headlights the Illumination wire has to be hooked up differently other than that it works great. I am happy with it. It has some quirks but nothing is perfect. Don't bother getting the Pioneer iPod adapter interface, it sucks. The bluetooth cell phone interface is pretty good. I use it every day.

Go to www.AVIC411.COM and get the Ducati flasher, its a must have. You have to read through the forums or do a search. Great site with some very nice people who have a lot of knowledge about the Z1.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
This might b eof interest to all of the AVIC- Z1 owners out there.......

The Shieldzone offers a lifetime replacement for their screen protector if it gets scratched. Here's their warranty from their website.

"The invisibleSHIELD purchase includes a lifetime replacement guarantee. We want you to feel safe and secure when investing in your digital life, and are confident that the invisibleSHIELD is the strongest and most durable protection you will find. Purchasing an invisibleSHIELD will protect your investment for the life of your device.

The lifetime replacement guarantee is simply what it says. If your invisibleSHIELD ever becomes scratched, torn or damaged in any way while protecting your device, we will replace the invisibleSHIELD for free, for life."

I jusrt ordered mine today and i'm anxiously awaiting its arrival.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a screen protector from ebay. Its "ok" but it already has some marks on it in the lower right corner where I hit the voice button to make a cell phone call. maybe i'll try one of these. thanks for posting. let us know how it is when you get it.

what is recommended for cleaning the touch screen?

MDRob - I had Auto Sound Innovations in Eldersburg install my unit. If you'd like to see my installation or play around with the unit, let me know via email [email protected]. I can roll over your way during lunch sometime next week.

Latest posts