Pioneer AVIC Z ???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Hite

Reaction score
I have a 07 with satellite and sub will the avic z work with the factory antenna or do you have to run the antenna that comes with the z. I also wanted to know if it does away with the factory amp. How do you like it over the stock H/U.

Can't really answer as to if you can use the factory SatRad antenna or not. As for using the factory amp, that should be part of the wiring harness that you would need to get in order to make it work with the existing wiring.

My '07 had the base system in it because I ordered it that way since I know I would be adding all my own stuff in. I replaced all the door speakers, put in two Alpine amps, and a single 10" sub behind the seat, custom built by JDBoxes (site member, but not making boxes anymore). For the satellite radio, I have a Pioneer tuner and the XM antenna is run out the third brake light and ont he roof. I had it on the dash under the center tray on the dash, but got a lot of drops there. That is where the GPS antenna is at though and it works well. Also I bought the adapterto make the steering wheel controls work the AVIC as well.

Great site for AVIC information is listed below.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I have the AVIC in my 07 and it works fine with the factory amp. It makes the whole system sound a lot better. My buddies thought I had upgraded the speakers when they heard mine. Obviously you get a ton of additional features/functionality over the stock H/U. My favorite is the rear view camera. The sub woofer has a lot to be desired for but what can you expect from a factory system.

Do I need the install kit that crutchfield has for 65.00 ?

PAC Ford Radio Replacement Interface

Allows aftermarket radio installation in select 2005-up Ford-built vehicles (model C2R-FRD1)

This is what you need from Crutchfield:

120705521 Ford Wire Harness receiver, 2003-up $19.99

120995807 Ford F150 Pickup Kit 2004-Up E, DD $14.99

12040CR10 Chrysler Antenna Adapter Motorola M to OEM antenna F $12.99

This is what you need for your steering wheel buttons to work with the AVIC H/U:

PAC SWI-PS which is $49.99

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5319_PAC+SWI-PS.html

This is everything you will need for your AVIC install.:)

I'm showing $129.99 for the PAC Ford Radio Replacement Interface (model C2R-FRD1) but I don't think it comes with the mounting adapter or the antenna adapter, which I needed for my installation in my 07 ST. I listed everything that I purchased for my install in the previous post.

[Broken External Image]:

Yes, I have the factory sub. The small plug on the 120705521 Ford Wire Harness is for the factory sub. You will be impressed with how much better your factory speakers sound. I'm still considering upgrading my door speakers with Boston Acoustic SL80s or SX85s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lil Red,

Sorry for all the questions but did you use the factory antenna or did you have to us the one that comes with the avic and I am also thinking about the bostons.

Rick, I use the factory AM/FM antenna and the GPS antenna that came with the AVIC. I put the GPS antenna under the center of the dash where the miscellaneous coin area (or whatever you call it) is. It picks up the satellites just fine and it's not visible at all.[Broken External Image]:

ps: Ask any/all the questions you have, that's what the site members are here for;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lil Red,

Did you do the install if so was it hard to do? So you put the antenna more or less on top

of the h/u so when you had the stock h/u is that when you mounted the antenna to the under

side of the coin tray.

My buddy did the install, but it was not that hard. If you are going to do it yourself just take your time and allow plenty of time to do it so you are not rushed. The most difficult part (from what i remember) was programing the module for the steering wheel controls and stuffing all the wires behind the unit because it's a tight fit. The GPS antenna is on the under side of the coin tray but it's mounted rite side up so you get good GPS reception which i always do.

Did you make a bracket to mount it or better yet can you take a pic of it or is it behind

the h/u.

No bracket, used part# 120995807 Ford F150 Pickup Kit 2004-Up E, DD $14.99 from Crutchfield to mount it. The mount is behind the trim.

Pat Freeman, who is a member of this site but I haven't heard from him in a while, had a nice project posted on his website with the installation instructions. Out of all of his links the only one that does NOT work is the Pioneer AVIC installation link.

Here is the website so keep an eye on it just in case it is only temporarily down: