Pioneer 6 Disc CD player dreaded CD ERROR message

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Schmidt

Reaction score
So I've got the 6 CD player with the CD player not working. I've ran diagnostics. Disconnected battery, etc., etc. Its the drive gear thing that breaks I believe. I think all these radios eventually get this and I have 6 discs stuck in there.

My question - is has anyone successfully mailed out and gotten back their head unit fixed - looking for recommendations on a shop. I had one shop found on internet quote $250 with shipping. I also found a NEW factory unit for $229 so thats way out of line for me to pay $250 to have repaired. I haven't called local stereo shops but my guess is they just mail it out to someone anyways?

Any recommendations with others with same experience?

I'm have the same problem and I'm going to just get a new head unit all together. If its going to be that much to repair/replace might as well get a nice newer and better one!

Had this problem in my F-350. Local audio shop was able to get the CD's out(but no guarantee on damage!) They replaced it with a similar style unit. Don't know about repair, but sounds good to me to know that. Would be nice to know this as I'm sure my unit with Snyc and all will eventually give up the ghost. A new unit is big $$. repair would be worth it. Bob

Years ago I had a OEM radio repaired. At that time, cost was $250 for a new display. I would shop around for an used, exactly same radio. Probably find one around $100. If you go aftermarket, you will look to pay in the 300 range for a decent Alpine or comparable radio..

I had the unit replaced on my '07 Limited under warranty. Dealer replaced it with a factory rebuilt unit. About eight weeks later I got an envelope in the mail with my 6 CDs!

I had my 6 disc changer replaced under warranty in both my 2003 ST and my 2006 F150. same problem.. sticking discs.

The 2001 ST had the 6 CD player. Got the disc error message. From 2001 to 2012 lots of changes.

Went to Crutchfield, bought a Kenwood for $136. All the cables and mounting parts included. The Kenwood has AM, FM, lots of presets an great colors, and ports for a audio jack and a USB port and one CD ability. The USB works with my I-Pod, the audio jack works with the Sirrius XM radio. Also the Kenwood has a remote.

Since 2001 the CD's are a minor player for me. Down load tunes and podcasts, put them on the I-Pod. No regrets that the old 6 disc bit the dust.

Installation not too hard. Instructions from Crutchfield were great. Would do it all again.

Dennis

The 2001 ST had the 6 CD player. Got the disc error message. From 2001 to 2012 lots of changes.

Went to Crutchfield, bought a Kenwood for $136. All the cables and mounting parts included. The Kenwood has AM, FM, lots of presets an great colors, and ports for a audio jack and a USB port and one CD ability. The USB works with my I-Pod, the audio jack works with the Sirrius XM radio. Also the Kenwood has a remote.

Since 2001 the CD's are a minor player for me. Down load tunes and podcasts, put them on the I-Pod. No regrets that the old 6 disc bit the dust.

Installation not too hard. Instructions from Crutchfield were great. Would do it all again.

Dennis

Latest posts