Picked up a 2004 Sport Trac XLT, need some parts.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Su

Reaction score
Hello all, I've recently purchased a 2004 Sport Trac XLT as my second vehicle. It will be my daily and utility vehicle (my other vehicle is a modified BMW 335i). Looking forward to doing minor work to my Sport Trac!

The previous owner seems to have taken good care of the Sport Trac, however there are a few things that need to be replaced. Including but not limited to: Fuel door cover, cruise control buttons, center console cover, and rear window regulator. I've checked Fordparts.com, any other recommendations?

Also... I've noticed the other day the truck is leaking a small amount of oil, I did not notice this when the purchase was made. Are there any common oil leaks with these engines?

Send Torrie an email @ the site below. If it is not in his catolog he might find it for you. He is one of our sponsors and gives better prices than ford.

He also is unleashed tuning sponsor. For those of us using tuners' He is the man.

:welcome: to the site.

Try this site link.

As for the oil leak. some of the oil filter adapters leak at the block. The fix is to replace it and the o-ring. The hard part is the exhaust manifold has to come off, for clearance. Not all have this problem. some of the aluminum castings were pourous and they seep.

I have an '04 xlt. Slight seepage around the oil pan. never hits the ground though.

I got my cruise control buttons from ebay for $85. They are new motorcraft. rockauto.com might have a better price.

I think some members found console recover kits on ebay or amazon.

As for the oil leak. some of the oil filter adapters leak at the block. The fix is to replace it and the o-ring. The hard part is the

exhaust manifold has to come off for clearance. Not all have this problem. some of the aluminum castings were porous and they seep.

Good catch Eddie. TSB linked below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I'll definitely look into that oil leak.

Is there a recommended oil to use? Especially on a high milage Sport Trac like mine? It currently has 140k on the odometer.

I'm not sure when the last time the owner changed the rest of the fluids, but I plan on changing the ATF fluid, doing a brake flush, and coolant flush. Any recommendations for those fluids also?

At 140k I'd use a high mileage synthetic or conventional oil that has seal conditioners to prevent leaks. Also hard to beat the Motorcraft FL-820S filter for under $5. See link below.

Some members in the past have taken their armrest into sewing shops and picked up scraps of similar material and replaced cover themselves. Saw pictures on this site and may be in project section. :supercool: