Phelps -- Greatest Athlete?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelson Atwell

Reaction score
I have seen several articles making a case that Michael Phelps is the greatest athlete ever. I propose that he has a challenger to that claim that hasn't even been mentioned in those articles. The articles mention others which also won a lot of Olympic medals. However, none mention Jim Thorpe. Read the link and then give your thoughts.

My opinion is that Phelps is a great swimmer. However, no one has excelled at so many sports as Thorpe, and Thorpe also had some Olympic medals to show for it. Also, Phelps has won some of those medals as part of a team. Thorpe's were individual awards.

Michael Phelps will be the most decorated Olympic athlete, but only one of several to be considered the greatest...

The only contest Bruce Jenner could win today is having the most (or worse) plastic surgical procedures. If he had one more he wouldn't be able to blink or chew his food...:lol::lol::lol:

What about the guy's record he's trying to break, Mark Spitz. He did this in the 70's..72 i think.. 7 time gold medal winner (Individuals) and he set a world record with each one..They also didn't have the 200 at the time so he would have 8 if they did.. many considered him the greatest Olympian of all time.. Many say if Phelps gets 8 it wouldn't be the same, as Spitz didn't have the same chance..:wacko:

Either way.. You can't argue with that many gold medals.. Guy's got skills. I just wouldn't call him the greatest athlete, maybe Olympian.. but Athlete's a huge umbrella.

I am with Griff on this one. I had this conversation yesterday with a friend of mine and I made a statement that the word athelete was a huge blanket statement and I dont think he is neccessarily the best athelete. I would consider him the the best of best for Olympians, but he would not be the best Athelete. He is a stud when it comes to swimming though, cant take that from him.

Greatest swimmer? Maybe. Greatest athlete ever? No way.

In addition to Jim Thorpe, I think you also need to consider Jesse Owens, Babe Didrikson Zaharias, Mohammad Ali, and Michael Jordan, for starters. I've also heard many people legitimately put Tiger Woods on that same pedestal.

And that's just in the 20th and early 21st centuries. Prior to that, who knows? Also, "ever" means past, present, AND FUTURE. Are we really going to be so arrogant about to the current time to say that Phelps (and all these others, for that matter) will NEVER be surpassed?

You guys are getting away from the fact that he is kicking A**, That is all that matters, today the greatest; tomorrow someone else will take it.... I agree, there are other athletes that are great, but for the 2008 summer games he takes the cake... There will always be someone better, if there wasn't we would be going backwards. there is always a time to beat, and that is what pushes athletes to succeed. It is a never ending cycle.

Let us not forget that many athletes/olympians will never get the opportunity to compete for/win as many medals as Phelps has. Athletes involved in sports like wrestling, weightlifting, tennis, basketball, baseball, archery, to only name a few, will get the opportunity to win only one medal. These athletes train no less and work just as hard as Phelps, but will never get the opportunity for such a label. He is good at his sport, and his sport has handed him these opportunities. Yes, he excels and for that we as Americans should be proud. But labeling him as the greatest athlete, or even olympian seems a bit unfair to the others who work hard for their only chance at a medal.

I've also heard many people legitimately put Tiger Woods on that same pedestal.

You're kidding, right Bill. Tiger is an exceptional golfer, but shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as the others as an athlete. Besides, gold is an art, not a sport.

Greatest swimmer? Maybe.

Name one better.

In addition to Jim Thorpe, I think you also need to consider Jesse Owens, Babe Didrikson Zaharias, Mohammad Ali, and Michael Jordan, for starters.

All except Mohammad Ali, one of the greatest boxers, but not an all-around athlete...

Les, I'm not kidding when I say that I've heard people put Woods on that level. And from what I've heard, with regard to his athleticism, conditioning, etc., he may very well deserve it. But in general, I'm in agreement with you.

Name one better.

I guess I don't know enough about the sport to be able to say. That's why I said "Maybe"--I was conceding that I can't refute an argument either way on that subject. Although I do think that if Spitz had been in this era, with the technology, facilities, etc., available to current swimmers, as well as the number of events available now, it would be an interesting matchup to watch.

All except Mohammad Ali, one of the greatest boxers, but not an all-around athlete...

Ali was vastly underrated for his all-around athleticism. Also, many of the articles discussing this subject the past few days have discussed it more in terms of greatest "athletic championss", not necessarily "athletes"--and in those terms, I don't think there's any doubt that Ali deserves to be part of the discussion.

A couple others that come to mind for discussion at that level--Jim Brown, Pele, and Eric Heiden.

Last edited by a moderator:
And he's accomplished this on a "mere" 12,000 calorie/day diet!:blink:

PHELPS' PIG SECRET: HE'S BOY GORGE

By CLEMENTE LISI with Post Wire Services

August 13, 2008 --

Swimming sensation Michael Phelps has an Olympic recipe for success - and it involves eating a staggering 12,000 calories a day.

"Eat, sleep and swim. That's all I can do," Phelps, who won two more gold medals today, told NBC when asked what he needs to win medals. "Get some calories into my system and try to recover the best I can."

By comparison, the average man of the same age needs to ingest about 2,000 calories a day.

Phelps, 23, will swim 17 times over nine days of competition at the Beijing Games - meaning that he will need all the calories he can shovel in his mouth in order to keep his energy levels high.

Phelps' diet - which involves ingesting 4,000 calories every time he sits down for a meal - resembles that of a reckless overeater rather than an Olympian.

Phelps lends a new spin to the phrase "Breakfast of Champions" by starting off his day by eating three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise.

He follows that up with two cups of coffee, a five-egg omelet, a bowl of grits, three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar and three chocolate-chip pancakes.

At lunch, Phelps gobbles up a pound of enriched pasta and two large ham and cheese sandwiches slathered with mayo on white bread - capping off the meal by chugging about 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

For dinner, Phelps really loads up on the carbs - what he needs to give him plenty of energy for his five-hours-a-day, six-days-a-week regimen - with a pound of pasta and an entire pizza.

He washes all that down with another 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

Phelps remains on course to at least equal Mark Spitz's record of seven gold medals won at the 1972 Munich Games.

At these Summer Games, a typical day for Phelps starts with a 5 a.m. wake-up call. Most of his races have taken place between 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. ET when in China - 12 hours ahead of East Coast time.

TrainTrac, that article reminds me, maybe we should include Takeru "Tsunami" Kobayashi among the greatest athletes ever. Six-time champion of the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest... :lol:

Although I do think that if Spitz had been in this era, with the technology, facilities, etc., available to current swimmers, as well as the number of events available now, it would be an interesting matchup to watch.

Bill, your right about Spitz, with today's technology, the lazer suit and the modified pool dimensions, he may have been a contender.

It seems clear to me that Phelps is the greatest swimmer in the world (currently). Mark Spitz was. I think we can say who were/are great athletes for their time, but not the greatest as rules and equipment change creating an uneven playing field.

Jim Thorpe was probably the greatest natural, untrained athlete.

BTW: I live in Lomita, the town of Thorpe's death. There is a memorial to him at city hall.

(Edit to correct spelling.)

Last edited by a moderator:
And he's accomplished this on a "mere" 12,000 calorie/day diet!

Hmm. I've tried that 12,000 calorie/day diet and for some reason I don't have his abs. I must be missing something. :rolleyes:

Latest posts