Performance Upgrades

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Abson 2

Reaction score
Ok, I can now start upgrading my performance, but have no idea where to start. I know I need a chip, cold air intake, and an exhaust, minimum. But where to start? What route should I take in terms of 'start with this, then that, and finally these'?

Welcome !! Stay tuned ..........I'm sure there's someone here to advise you! :cool: Personally I don't have a clue!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Intake

2. Exhaust

3. Programmer (don't use chip)

4. Replace OEM shocks

5. Replace OEM rear sway bar

6. Replace OEM front links

Or...

1. Replace OEM shocks

2. Replace OEM rear sway bar

3. Replace OEM front links

4. Intake

5. Exhaust

6. Programmer (don't use chip)

Exhaust, intake, then tuner. You want to do the tuner last so it can be programmed correctly for any and all mods you've made to get the most performance from it.

Also, you can only take in as much air as you can effectively get out, so start from the back and work forward.

You also have greater risk. With the chip, any time you want to make a change, you'll have to disconnect at the ECU to swap the stock chip with the modified chip, and vice versa. If you damage the pins on either chip or the ECU connection you are SOL.

I did the Magnaflow exhaust #16779 and K&N intake 52 series with the plastic tube. Sounds great, Milage hasn't really changed. I'm gonna talk to Todd Z. about a new throttle body. Then comes the programmer. I've got an '08 limited V-8, 4x4. Good luck!!!!

I would do the suspension upgrades first (Shocks, EE Swaybar, Front End Links). This will greatly improve the handling of our Trac, and make it safer.

Then:

1. Exhaust

2. Intake*

3. TB*

4. C&L MAF Housing*

5. XCal 3 w/custom tunes from site sponsor Torrie

6. R/T Y-pipe and high-flow catalytic converter*

*--Can be purchased from site sponsor Zabteck.

I would echo what others have said about the benefits of a tuner over a chip. It's versatile, you can buy up to three different tunes for use with your vehicle, it's easy to use, you can use it to read CEL codes, and if you ever get rid of your Trac, you can use it with another Ford vehicle as long as you return the Trac to the stock tune and unlock the tuner. Oh, and Torrie will work with you to tweak your tunes for your specific vehicle.:banana:

Welcome to the site, Jerry! :banana:

I personally would do the upgrades in the order that Paul suggested on the 2nd senerio. I suggest the order below to put the handling in place first so the suspension can handle the performance upgrades.

1. Replace OEM shocks - a lot of people here are happy with Monroe Reflex

2. Replace OEM rear sway bar - Explorer Express or ADDCO

3. Replace OEM front links - MOOG Problem Solver front end links or the ones from Energy Suspension

4. Intake

5. ZabTek throttle body (TB spacers have almost no benefit)

6. Exhaust

7. Programmer (don't use chip) - SCT XCalibrator II (used) or III new

IMO, it all depends on what you're looking for out of your trac.

If you're safety conscious, start with the shocks and upgrading the sway bars.

If you're about performance, go with the exhaust and intake.

There's so much we can do with our tracs that it can become disorienting, so I know what you're going through.

Since I bought my trac back in June of last year, this is some of the major mods I've done starting from the first on...

1. Exhaust

2. Shocks and EE rear sway bar

3. K&N Intake

4. Zabteck throttle body

5. X cal III tuner with 87 perf., 91 perf., and premium fuel perf. tunes

6. Motor oil replaced with RP synthetic

7. Flushed trans and replaced with Amsoil synthetic ATF

And the list goes on...

Best bang for the lowest buck will come with a XCal.

If you are on a limited budget, I'd do that one first. It will only get better with all of the rest of the stuff mentioned.

To get the most performance out of the Xcal, it needs to be done LAST! When you have your custom tunes written for it, they need to know all the mods you've done to your truck to get the most accurate tune written. I agree that its a great bang for the buck, but make sure get the most bang that you can! Especially on a limited budget, otherwise you'll wind up paying extra to have tunes rewritten.

To get the most performance out of the Xcal, it needs to be done LAST!

I could be wrong, but I believe when you buy an XCal and tunes from Torrie, part of his follow-on customer service includes free tweaks to the tunes if you add other mods.

Thanks for all the advice! I am seeking installation costs for the parts I know I can't, and have gathered the info for the parts I think I can. To everyone who added thier 2 cents, thanks very much! Looking forward to getting this truck a little more giddy uppidy!

Train, that's possible.... I bought mine used and had tunes written for it. If so, the Xcal wouldn't be a bad first step for the shift improvements and other features it has.

If doing the mods in steps though, I think you'll get the most satisfaction from exhaust, intake, then tuner, since each of them will add to the performance of the next step.

Latest posts