Performance Shock Recommendations for '10 STA

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone... i'm looking to upgrade the shocks on my '10 STA. I still have the factory pirelli scorpions but they are cupping. Had alignment, joints, etc. checked out and everything is fine so that leaves the shocks.

I'm looking to gain the best handling/cornering/performance for on road driving. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Appears you are limited to Monroe Reflex or KYB GR-2 for aftermarket struts.

Fortunately, both excellent choices and each seem to have their own following.

I put in a set of KYBs on my '02 Gen1, and they're still performing well at 100K (son now owns the truck). They're excellent, and come with a lifetime guarantee to original owner. I'd rate them as comparable to Bilstein if you've heard of that company. How many miles on your Scorpions? I bought an '08 STA with 17K original mile tires two months ago; now at 19K and think these tires have 3-5K left. Probably going with Michelin on next set.

SWS - thanks, for the link

Vic - I have just over 20k on them and still have about another 9-12 months but between the cupped outside edges and my aggressive cornering/turning, the worn rounded on the outside tire edge. I am thinking of eventually replacing them so wanted to look into new shocks first.

Are they easy to install or is it just better to take to pro?

The Gen2 setup is McPherson struts - springs and shocks are together as a unit. To replace the shocks you'll need a spring compressor tool, probably an impact wrench as well. I have no experience with Ford's design, but have replaced BMW front strut shocks before; you must have the correct tools. You could save some money by removing the struts yourself and then taking them to a shop for the shock replacement. Be sure to check it out beforehand though - some shops won't work with customer-supplied parts. Whatever you decide, be sure to get an alignment done as part of this job.

This is not a McPherson strut setup. The MS does not utilize an upper control arm and also a MS assembly turns when the wheels are turned.

I just installed the Monroe Reflex in my 2008 STA and the ride is awesome. Highly recommend these to anyone. Great product and well worth the price.

heywardjr, can you describe how the install went? Are the springs and shocks together as an assembly? In other words, do you need a spring compressor to change out the shocks? Inquiring minds would like to know.

I did not install these myself but had the Ford dealer do it for me. I assume they had to compress these when installing. The ride is better than the factory and feels like it was new vehicle again. All struts lose their feel after time and I've always replaced these after 50,000 miles to get the ride back like it was new again. The springs are not replaced just the struts.

Well worth the cost in my opinion.

Latest posts