Performance gains

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Bell

Reaction score
I really like my sport trac but feel like stock it lacks some in the power department. I am looking into either a programmer or exhaust and intake. I do alot of towing with my vehicle ranging from 1500lbs to 4500lbs. Fuel economy is not a big deal to me but any gains would be icing on the cake. What performance upgrade would you think would benefit me the most? Unfortunately as a high schooler I don't have the funds to do everything

SCT programmer. Tune up, good fluids, clean IAC and throttle body. There was also some slack in my throttle cable that when pulled tight, made a noticeable difference in throttle response. The big money bolt-on parts just don't do much on these engines. The programmer would be your best bang for buck according to those who have them. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those yet but I really only want it to adjust for my bigger tires.

If you're not running synthetic fluids in your driveline - engine, transmission, differential - that will be good value for money spent. Good protection too as you mention you're towing. I agree with Hugh's advice. IMO, towing 4500# is a big load for a Gen1 Trac.

i did the CAI off ebay but when I swapped in a Specter filter after the ebay filter was toast it felt great. A Zabtech Throttle body worked awesome. I love my truck a lot more after the throttle body swap. a lot more fun to drive. SCT programmer is next for me then exhaust

I'm looking to pick-up some performance gains myself. What would I be better served to improve first, SCT programmer or Zabtech throttle body?

I would think that upgrading the intake with a free flowing cone air filter and perhaps a Zabtech Trottle body would be easiest and cheapest bang for you buck. Next you might want to go wilth a SCT programmer and switching to all synthetic fluids in the engine, tranny and rear axle.

You can actually start changing the fluids starting with your next oil change, and when you have the money flush the tranny with synthetic fluid, and change the rear axle oil to synthetic when your budget can take it.

If that does not give you the extra power you need then you will need to go to a cat-back exhaust system...supercharger and other very expensive stuff.

...Rich

Best bang for the buck is a cat-back exhaust. Next would be a tuner like the XCal2. After that, intake, but that only helps at higher rpm because the OE intake already is a cold air intake. I always tell people to just pull out the silencer, get a K&N drop-in, call it good, and save $175.

JBA makes headers but they are pricey and people who have them say they don't make much difference because the stock manifolds are already pretty good. Better to spend your money on the Random Technology Y-pipe and a low restriction cat. There is nothing you can do that will make a huge difference.

Our 4.0L is rated @ 210hp. I think the most any member has done with bolt ons is, 275hp.

Any thing greater would take going to a super-six motor.

Just an update but i ended up getting the exhaust and Air Raid cold air intake to start out with. I am very pleased with the results. My highway mpg actually went up 2.5. There is also a noticeable power difference which i am very happy with. I plan on getting a sct programmer around Christmas.

Latest posts