Pennzoil Ultra Platinum oil

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I found it I've used nothing else since. I have not done oil analysis yet, but the difference in improvement over my old Valvoline full synthetic is noticable. Faster warm ups. Quiter engine performance. It is the real deal in my opinion. Worth every penny.

Seems to be the preferred choice for off the shelf oils at BITOG.

Last edited by a moderator:
Required to be used in my wife's car (Grand Cherokee SRT). It is specifically named in the owner's manual along with the Mopar equivalent. No other meets the Chrysler specs.

Required to be used in my wife's car (Grand Cherokee SRT). It is specifically named in the owner's manual along with the Mopar equivalent. No other meets the Chrysler specs.

Not so! If a manufacturer requires a specific oil to maintain warranty then they have to give it to you FREE. Warranties (on anything) sold in the U.S. are controlled by the Magnuson-Moss Act. AMSOIL makes the 0W-40 oil with the Chrysler MS-12633 and has the filter too. See my oil article in Projects>Maintenance section of this forum. The EaO-11 oil filter pictured there is the filter for this engine. Use our Preferred Customer program and get a case of 12 quarts for $92.85, or single quarts for $8.15. The SRT engine takes 7 quarts.

Vic is correct !

If the manufacturer requires a specific brand of oil, filter, etc, and no other brand meets their specifications, then they are required to provide that product free of charge.

Reread that manual again ! Pennzoil Ultra Platinum may be mentioned in the owners manual by name...and they may even strongly recommend that oil, but I cannot believe that Jeep would claim that as the only oil that can be used ???? They would be opening themselves up to huge lawsuits.

...Rich

EddieS'04 said:
I think Johny O, has used it and had a good report from blackstone labs.

True, Pennzoil Platinum gave me the best UOA's of any oil I've tried. I didn't see a difference between regular Platinum and the Ultra. If they are the same price (usually they are at Wal-Mart) then you might as well get the Ultra. If the Ultra is a few bucks more that you don't want to spend, then the regular Platinum is still real good stuff. I change mine every 5000 miles anyway so I don't really need the extra cleaning benefits of Ultra.

Vic, first of all, thank you for sponsoring this forum, AND you are correct.

Copied and pasted from the owner's manual:

"Use Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 engine or equivalent MOPAR oil meeting the Chrysler Material Standard MS-12633 for use in all operating temperatures." - only Pennzoil and Mopar mentioned.

BUT, further research in the small print of the owner's manual, I found this:

"You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed." - I think that was added by the lawyers.

Alas, the maintenance interval for the SRT 6.4L Hemi engine oil change is every six months or 6000 miles (whichever first). Since the vehicle is only driven about 2500 miles a year, think of all the good lubricant going to waste!! At least I can change my own oil, I buy the Pennzoil for about $7 a quart delivered, and use OEM Mopar filters (dealer wanted $147 for an oil change).

:driving:

"Use Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 engine or equivalent MOPAR oil meeting the Chrysler Material Standard MS-12633 for use in all operating temperatures." - only Pennzoil and Mopar mentioned.

BUT, further research in the small print of the owner's manual, I found this:

"You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed." - I think that was added by the lawyers.

Alas, the maintenance interval for the SRT 6.4L Hemi engine oil change is every six months or 6000 miles (whichever first). Since the vehicle is only driven about 2500 miles a year, think of all the good lubricant going to waste!! At least I can change my own oil, I buy the Pennzoil for about $7 a quart delivered, and use OEM Mopar filters (dealer wanted $147 for an oil change).

I'm sure driving the SRT is a blast. Chrysler's recommending Pennzoil in the Owner's Manual is nothing new; they want quality oil in the engine so that owners do their part of keeping the warranty. The "...may use synthetic oil..." verbiage is redundant because you won't find a 0W-40 oil in anything but synthetic. Petroleum oils simply cannot perform at the cold (the 0W) measure point of -35 degrees C. See the SAE J-300 table if you'd like to know more about it, or you can PM me for literature. I invite you to check out AMSOIL's free MyGarage tool though; you can "park" your rides there and log services, set up email reminders, etc. Very important to be able to show documentation of your own oil changes and services.