PCV valve problem...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy Coleman

Reaction score
Hey guys...

I think I have an issue... while working on the truck, I noticed leakage around the pcv valve. And when I grabbed it, it was just flopping lose. So, I pulled the elbow loose and tried to install the valve.... and it just spins and spins... I have run my finger on the inside and I don't feel any tabs for it to lock onto... is it possible to break the tabs off??? Good grief... it that's the case, then some mechanic I used, snapped them off... cause I didn't do that....

Any advice??

If the PCV valve isn't sealing, the only fix is a new valve cover. I've read some have used oil resistant RTV sealant with success.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I was worried that replacing the cover would be necessary... boo... bad timing here at christmas and running low on funds...

So you just "glued" the pcv valve in place? Damn, that's awesome... Any advice on sealing it or just follow the standard directions?

Thanks a bunch guys!!!

White glove clean, nothing sticks to oil.

One of my tabs was broken so I got the valve installed and hooked to all the hoses, rolled a small bead around the valve and twisted it in letting the bead seal itself against the cover, and held it in place for a couple of minutes. Then removed my hand and let air dry for a couple hours before driving. It has held up really well so far and should be an easy removal if necessary for some reason.

Here's an update,

I got some RVT sealant and cleaned, and cleaned and then cleaned again the valve and the area on the valve cover... I rolled a bead on the valve, pressed it in and then used to rolled up wash rags behind the valve to keep pressure against it. Left it that way all night..... then the next day, reconnect the elbow into the valve and voila! Drove it around all day and it's holding great so far! Sweet!

Thanks guys for the suggestions, you guys are life savers!!!