~ PAYPAL HACKED!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Potts

Reaction score
I jsut had my Paypal Account hacked!!! The hacker tried to buy a Laptop on ebay and have it sent to Hong Kong!! I caught it in time luckily because I did not have that kind of funds in my bank account!

I would advise everyone to change thier passwords every 90 days! Check into your history records and protect yourself. I am canceling my Paypal as soon as the investigation is over!

Good luck to us all.....damn terrorists. (which is what any hacker REALLY is)

THAT TOTALLY SUCKS!!!!

but i wouldn't call him a terrorist... oh... I'd have some better lingo than that! :p

Glad you caught it in time.

I had mine hacked and paypal did not hold me to the charges. I had to prove that it came from a different ip address and that i was not in the area of the ip when it happend. they would not tell me where is was just that it was out of state and i had to prove where i was at the time of the transaction. Thank god i keep my applebees receipt for dinner that night. Good Luck D. Potts

Also watch out for those fake paypal emails telling you that you need to log into your account...the clickable link in the email sends all your info to the hacker.

If you get such an email.....delete it, open in a new window and log into your account via the lagit website.

I get gobs of emails from fake banks of accounts I've never had saying I need to update my bank info via their email.

Lot's of scumbags out there trying to steal your info and your money. :angry:

I love filling those out with profanities as names, addresses, and 1-900 numbers as phone info. And my e-mail address or password is usually something very obscene, and when I click done, I always get something that says thanks!

I would not be so hard about hackers. Hackers save us billions of dollars a year by "letting the cat out of the bag" on security issues many choose to ignore. The government knows the value of hackers and some of the finest IT administrators are former hackers. Why? The same reason the best safe designer is a safe cracker. They think like someone that would try to break into a computer system.

You dealt with a theif. A thief is someone that will steal from you. It doesn't matter if they do it via a remote computer, opening your mailbox, holding you at gunpoint, or even an accoutant skimming off the top.

A thief is a thief.

Tom

I had to update my PayPal info today.

I went to THEIR website myself to check on things.

Even though I went to them, I was still a little apprehensive about sharing my info.

Paranoia is a good thing though. :unsure:

love filling those out with profanities as names, addresses, and 1-900 numbers as phone info

Don't ever respond to those kind of emails....by doing so, you give them your IP adress and lets them know they reached a 'live' email address.

As with yahoo email, you can click "Full Headers" and see exactly where an email originated from, etc.

I have a buddy that can hack into just about anyone's pc.....one method he uses is sending a pix....buried within that pix there is a nasty pgm that loads into your PC without you even knowing it. Once the pgm is installed, he has it automaticly execute.....it gathers info stored on your puter and sends the info back to him. Virus protection, firewalls do nothing, because you accepted the email and opened it. He doesn't do this to steal ppl's stuff, he did it because he wanted to know if he could as a hobby. He used to work for the FBI :)

As with something like this and others, they tell you to not open an email unless you know the person or company that sent it to you.

FYI: Use one of the eBay/PayPal security keys (like the keys you use at work for sensitive networks, etc.). In addition, do not use a password that is a word or all numbers. Throw in both, plus special characters from above the numbers.

Then try to remember it!

I have a hard time remembering all my passwords sometimes.

Especially to ones like PayPal, which I access once or twice a year. :unsure:

Pick a word that is common to you or that is special to you, then mix it up, for example (and no this isn't a password I use) I love to eat crawfish. Could make a password craw3474 (3474 is FISH on a key pad) or crawf1$h. Replace i or l with 1 or !, e with 3, s with 5 or $, t with 7, b with 8, and o with 0. You will have virtually unlimited possibilities.

My laptop is an IBM Thinkpad with the biometric fingerprint scanner, and I either have to use my fingerprint, or it's a short sentence with the above abbreviations thrown in. God I hope I never lose my fingers...

Don't ever respond to those kind of emails....by doing so, you give them your IP adress and lets them know they reached a 'live' email address.

Who says I'm using MY ip address? :lol:

Here's a bogus email I got today from someone that claims to be paypal. :) Notice the date in the email as to when to respond by :lol:

Please Update Your Account

Dear valued PayPal member:

It has come to out attention that your PayPal account information needs to

be updated as . part of .our continuing. commitment to protect .your account

and to reduce the instance of .fraud on our website. If you .could please take

5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your personal records

you will not run into any future problems with the online services.

However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension.

Please update your records on or before December,12 2007.

Once you have updated. your account records, your PayPal session will not

be interrupted and will continue as normal.

To update your PayPal records click on the following link:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

PayPal, Inc.

P.O. Box 45950

Omaha, NE 68145

Sincerely,

PayPal

Add Amazon.com,ebay.com and Hotmail to my Hacked accounts!!! DAMN this is getting frustrating!

D. Potts......sounds like you've got a virus of some type on your puter for all those accts to get hacked.

What virus checker do you use?

All of mine are fingerprint protected and then paypal and ebay, I have the keychain thingie for...

That's good protection Dingo... :)

I know many ppl don't like to use complicated passwords since they can be hard to remember, but if you just get yourself a small memo book...it's pretty easy to have the site and login info written down there. It might take you a bit longer to enter the info, but will for sure protect you better instead of using just letters and/or numbers in your password string.

You for sure don't want to make it easy for some hacker or theif to get access to your important accounts.

Like Jeff's sample above.....make it hard for someone to 'crack'

Also......Don't click Save Login Info on the site your connecting to and from time to time delete all your cookies.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the fingerprint scanner ever dies, I'm okay, 'cause the password for everything is the vin number on a car I rolled 27 times in '98.

Latest posts