PATS anti theft and the PCM

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Donaldson

Reaction score
Yet another Mod question: If one where to replace the PCM (engine management) with lets say one for a 98-2001 V8... would the PATS transponder key thing freakout = no start?

Thanks

-Don D.

well the V8 is going in too... This is one of the last bugs in my V8 mod plan... I think the V8 pcm and mine will have different PATS versions and I don't know if that will mess me up. ;)

I cant figure out if the signal from one pats system to another is different or if pats is a separate module or not... I am really hoping that the pats module is separate from the pcm and that the pcm is looking for a generic code in order to start the car. In this case my PATS and its keys will still happily start the car. :D

I believe the PATS is in the module located behind the passenger's side airbag. Not sure, though.

See if you can snag the keys from the donor vehical, not that they will fit the ignition but may be usefull in solving a potential problem.

my son had a new pcm installed in his ranger (06) and they had to give him new keys. We added his old ones later so he had extras, but the dealer had to use the new keys in order to start the vehicle the first time.

This will be the biggest pain in doing a V-8 swap into an ST.

Passive Anti-Theft System (SecuriLock):

98~2001 Explorers are type B PATS which uses a standalone PATS Module. All 2001~2003 STs manufactured after 7/24/00 have type E PATS which has the PATS Module functions integrated into the PCM. (If you can find a rare early 2001MY ST manufactured before that date, it should have the same B PATS as the 5.0L Ex.)

For the 2001.5~2003 Sport Tracs that came with type E PATS: if you just swap in the 98+ Explorer 5.0 and its PCM/calibration, PATS will no longer work and the engine will not start. To correct this, you have 2 choices:

Find a way to bypass/disable PATS; or

Install and wire the PATS Module and PATS transceiver from the 5.0 Ex into the ST. You would also need #1 transponder keys to match the type B PATS components.

Last edited by a moderator:
so this means new keys, tumbler mechanism.... the whole 10 yards eh... well that just is "wonderful" :(

Well I suppose that not the biggest thing in the world but It just adds one more thing in a very long list of things;)

ACTUALLY, you can cut the old-style PATS keys to the same key code as your current keys. The issue is the transponder chips in the keys are in a different format. (kinda like MAC and PC) No need to re-key your Trac.

Well it seems to program the pats you need some sort of original or "Dominant key" to reprogram the system... make a frakin key via having a copy of mine cut then cutting the end off the one for the donor pats and welding the two together for programming purposes:rolleyes:

You could always just shut pats off in the calibration

Take care,

Mr. Torrie R. McPhail - (Owner)

http://www.FastPartsNetwork.com

http://www.UnleashedTuning.com

Ford/GM/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep SCT Custom Calibrator

Torrie,

Could you elaborate? Are you saying that by using an XCAL2 I can simply shut off the PATS system?

I am tired of hearing this POS 6 cylinder motor make the timing chain noise again, so I am looking for a salvage/donor Explorer to finally do a V-8 swap. My goal is to have it done before I head to Moab, UT for the annual Explorer Forum run in May.

Yeah we can shut pats off in the tune.

Take care,

Mr. Torrie R. McPhail - (Owner)

http://www.FastPartsNetwork.com

http://www.UnleashedTuning.com

Ford/GM/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep SCT Custom Calibrator

That is very good news. I wonder why nobody thought of that in the other forums I read about the V8 swap. The ticking time bomb of a motor is on it's way OUT of my ST!!!!!

Latest posts