Passenger seat shake

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffksf B

Reaction score
So since I finally sold the Ranger and have been driving the ST more I noticed the passenger seat shaking at hwy. speeds. So I think no big deal I'll get the tires balanced, usually a shaking seat is a telltale sign of needing the tires balanced. So took it to the shop and sure enought the rear 2 were pretty badly out of balance. I was hoping for that thinking it would take care of the passenger seat shake. So now the seat is still shaking at hwy. speeds, although it seems to ride smoother. So now I'm thinking maybe the driveshaft could use a balance. Anyone else out there go thru a similar problem?

FYI: I have very new 265/70/16 BFG AT KO's

thanks, Jeff

I got new tires and balance done not to long ago, and yes my passenger seat shakes also. Its kinda annoying. I looked into the seat bolts and there is some play, next time i have time i am going to go more into detail. If u notice move the seat around with your hands, u will notice its not strong. In general my ST shakes a lot in the cabin while driving i say they just loosend after time, FORD should look into bolted the seats tight and cotter pinning the nuts :p

Mine has done it since nearly new (maybe since new and I just didn't notice it).

Never really bothered me, I just figured it was a minor vibration issue and and haven't really tried to fix it or ID what was causing it.

Mine does it, too. Part of the Premium package (deluxe passenger seat vibrator)?

It's worse when the tires are worn unevenly. Helps me keep track of when it's time to rotate.

Just had the dealer tighten both front seats (right before warranty expired). And yes, both seats were loose. But it was more hearing the seats sort of "clank" going around corners, long before I could feel it.

Update

So I'm washing it the other day and notice a dirt mark on the edge of the rim that resembles the shape of a wheel weight. Then I think back and remember right after I got them balanced my 1st hwy. trip I heard something fling from the tires, just thought it was a stone. So then I inspect both sides of the rim and see no wheel weights on the inside or outside. Since I have 265/75 BFG ATs I know there is a very slim chance that these didn't need any weight to balance. So knowing what I know now I took the one wheel back up to the tire shop and they balanced again and sure enough there are wheel weights on it now. The ride is much better now:D

If it is a vibration in the seat/floor area it is usually a vibration problem in the rear tire/suspension or floor area. If the vibration is felt/seen in the steering wheel/pedals, or dash it is coming from the front tires/suspension or floor area.

This is common beginning NVH diagnosis and it appers you have a vibration coming from the rear of the truck (tire weight, tread wear scallop, bad shock, loose suspension, etc.)

Good luck finding it...

Mark

I haven't driven it by myself on the hwy. yet so I'm not 100% this wheel took care of it. It did seem smoother though, and I didn't feel anything in the steering wheel.

Before I found the missing wheel weight I was contemplating having the rear driveshaft balanced and new U-joints installed.

Latest posts