Passenger door won't open from outside?!?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Mitchell

Reaction score
I had to have my passenger door glass replaced (which required the glass company to take the interior of the door apart), now the door won't open from the outside. When I lift the handle from the outside nothing happens -- the "lock knob" goes up and down properly so I don't think it is a lock problem. (It does open from the inside)

Anyone have this problem? I have searched the archives and it seems the door handles can have problems. Any quick fix ideas? Do you think I should call the glass company and blame them?

Thx

Last edited by a moderator:
I think i know exactly what it is, especially since you got your glass replaced. This week my door handle stopped working on the drivers side. It wouldn't open from the outside but would from the inside so i came on this website and searched around. I found this:

http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/doorpanelremoval/doorpanelremoval.htm

This worked perfectly for removing the panel. Once i got in it was hard to see the mechanism for the door handle so i got a small mirror and a flashlight and looked inside. I noticed that the backing of the rivets holding the power window frame was interfering with the door handle preventing it from doing its job.. So i took a pair of needle nosed vise grips and bent the back of the rivets so it wouldn't come in contact with door mechanism. Once i did this the handle then could move freely and it worked properly. It was a little tough get onto them with the vise grips but they did the trick.

Let me know if this helps...:cool:

I am sure you will find that the linkage to the door handle has been knocked off. Once reattached, you will be good to go.

Follow up:

I did call the glass company and they sent someone out. Seems they did not clean all of the glass and a piece fell into the mechanisms and just had to be removed. :wacko:

Thanks

Latest posts