Parking Brake Adjustment

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zudnick

Reaction score
Hello,

I need to adjust my parking brakes. After installing new rotors and pads on the rear (2004 4x4 XLT), the parking brakes were dragging, and making a terrible squeal while driving in reverse as well as making a clunking noise when first backing up the vehicle. There was also some resistance that I noticed, mainly again while going in reverse.

Just to get rid of the resistance, squeal and clucking I removed the rubber plugs and backed the adjuster way off. Now I need to know what the proper setting should be.

Can you please descibe the exact proceedure for the most simple way of getting the parking brakes adjusted properly?

Thanks!

Z

Thanks, Steve! I'll check my email when I get home tonight...

I'm assuming it's something simple like: with the parking brake released, rotate the adjuster (behind the little rubber plugs) until the brakes drag slightly on the inside of the rotors and then back off the adjuster a few clicks...

Then the parking brakes wouldn't be dragging on the rotor, but when engaged there should be plenty of "hold".

I guess my biggest question would be if the above is the correct procedure, how many clicks should I back the adjusters off from the point where the shoes were rubbing on the inside of the rotor.

Like I said, I'll check my email when I get home.

Thanks again!

Latest posts