Painting the cowl

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie Anglin

Reaction score
I have a 05 dark stone Limited ST. I hate the gray look of the cowl so I decided to do something about it so I ordered color match base coat several months ago but no weather to paint it. This evening I got it done. Here are a few pics before and after. Just sanded it a little and sprayed and then cleared. I like it because the limited has a monochrome color scheme and I thought this just finished the deal.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to take the panel to a bodyshop and get it color matched to the truck for between $80-150 depending on shop. Did you just upload the pictures of the newly painted cowl ? It didn't show up the first time I looked at this post. Looks realy good, did you clear coat it too?

:banana::supercool:

:supercool: I like it willie.!!

Can I send mine to you.:bwahaha:

Seriously I have been noticing the fade on mine. Tired of treating it with shine.

Good Job!!

This took me about 30 minutes to do total. I short cut in that I did not get the plastic to paint adhesion stuff. You can get it at NAPA and it helps the paint stick to the plastic. I just took some 220 and scuffed up the panel. I did clear coat it but was not trying to make the finish like the existing paint. It turned out a little darker, not much to even notice but I have noticed even on factory painted cars plastic painted areas such as bumper covers and stuff do not always match. Some of that is bacause they are painted at different times with different paint but some of it has to do with the base material, metal or plastic. I am real happy with the outcome. I did clear coat but the texture of the plastic does not lend to same surface look as the hood. I guess you could make the texture match but I was not after that look. This is a super easy project. Worst part is that I could not find a paint to match at any parts store so I had to order a can and with shipping it was about $30 for 1 can. OBTW be careful removing the feed tubes for the window washer, broke the passenger side one that tees off and had to fix. I think it would also look good painted with bumper black, just I like the monochrome theme with mine. If it had the plain cladding I would have just sprayed it black.

I did that to mine a long time ago, and it still looks like new. I just used the black plastic paint, that I used for the cladding.