Painted Plastic?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Tucker

Reaction score
Anybody painted the Grey plastic body moulding around the bottom of their ST? What kind of paint do you recommend and what is the best way of doing it?

There are several ways, There is a project on doing it with spray cans that comes out nice, I used body shop equipment to get rid of the texture...

And you do NOT have to sand any thing..

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

spray paint project end result... after a year little to know fading or chipping! Not as pretty but very economical!

[Broken External Image]:

Painted mine the spray can route also. Turned out nice and is still in decent shape 3 years later. Check out the project for more info. Also see my library for more pictures.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
ya know i called to get a quote on rhino lining my step bars.....275.99.....for me that just sounds like waaay to much....ill just buy texturized spary paint and do it myself

Woppy,

I think I'll go the spray route once summer comes around again. I like getting my hands dirty with little projects like this. Plus i dont want the bottom to be shinier then the rest of my trac...

I hear ya. But I think if you took it to a paint shop and color matched the cladding to your body it would be alot more impressive. Having two off color blacks might be a little uneasy on the eyes. I couldn't see a body shop chargin more than 300-400 bucks. just my opinion and guesses. Either way though I am with ya on painting the cladding. That stuff drove me crazy for a year.

haha yea, I got my trac in july and didnt really care before. I convinced myself to leave things stock and not muck around (i have a nasty habit of not being satisfied with stock options). infact I'm still arguing with myself about a lift....but now I just think it looks 100% sharper with colour matched cladding. And you are right about the two-tone blackness. I've seen some Adrenalines that look incredible..and I feel like I would be settling with flat black around the cladding. i guess I'll just ahve to get a nice wash and wax to even out the paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
good move. just to settle ur nerves a little... I put a hoodscoop on my trac and had it painted to match the factory paint. I also have an 03 not garage kept :( but the color of both matched out perfectly. I think you will be just fine with the cladding. I am thinking about doing the same later down the road pending how my trac looks with the CAP painted to match in January.

Latest posts