Painted my exterior cladding

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney Leary

Reaction score
Before and After

[Broken External Image]: [Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]: [Broken External Image]:

I wrote a project on it and it's in My Library.

Looks great! Now you've got me thinking it's time to do the same! But that means new running boards and a bull bar, that means new driving lights, and then the sport center bezel with extra fog light switch, and on and on....time to start somewhere!!!

Again, looks great!

:banana:

@ Jerry - I used Krylon Plastic Satin Black.

@ Eddie - That's my wifes car. I paid attention to the wind and with the trigger I had amazing control, didn't get a speck on my wheels, the pavement, or her car.

@ Shaun - I didn't. The Krylon plastic almost soaked into the faded plastic, and I made several light passes, so I think I have good coverage. It will be easy to touch up if needed. I'll post back if I get any chipping... but I highly doubt it.

I am attaching my project PDF if anyone wants to see more pics and the steps I took.

Looks great,and it will last. I did mine almost 2 years ago and it still looks good, I used a promoter, 3 or 4 coats SEM satin black and 3 or 4 coats of satin clear. Now go and get those sides done,lol. The panels come off pretty easy, and when u go to put them back on, get some nuts and bolts for the bottom where it attaches, instead of those plastic pieces, so they'll never rattle. Have fun

Thanks Rodney,

I attempted this project a couple years ago and used Duplicolor paint and some other brand of Adhesion Promoter. It didn't work and first time I washed the truck, the paint started flaking off.

Luckily I had only done the side cladding and was preparing to do the front and back the weekend that the paint started flaking off the sides.

I'm not really sure what went wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great! I just touched mine up today after painting it three years ago. Also stripped down my emblems and painted them black with toreador red lettering to match the truck. Will post pics soon as the epoxy coat dries and I get them back on the truck, but they already look awesome :)

Here they are waiting while the epoxy coat dries. They still have about another two days until they are fully dried. But with as good as they look now, I can wait. When they are on the truck, I'll post another picture.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts