Painted center console/radio

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott H

Reaction score
Who here has it done? What was the cost like? Thinking about getting it done if my girlfriend lets me. *insert whip sound* :wub:

painted mine today.. 10.00 for supplies . sand it good ,use a adhesive promoter,it helps the paint stick to the plastic better. will post pics.later...

My step-daughter does auto and truck reconditioning and detailing, and her and I have been

working together for the last few years on both. She has found out that the paint kits you

can get from Lowes, Home Depot, or even a bigger Wal Mart can do these finishes on most plastics, metal, and even some vinyls,( if it is listed as a vinyl or fabric paint!)

Sometimes they are referred to as a textured, hammered, coppered, patina finish (you

get the idea!), She has done one on the console and radio bezel of my '05 trac that you would

swear was a leather-type-wrap, and it is on the plastic pieces! The finish comes in many different

types of textures and colors, and yes, cleaning and prep is very important to keep the new

finish from chipping or peeling off of the plastic surfaces. Scotch-Brite pads are highly

recommended, along with following the lable directions for the application of the specific

finishes. You will not be dissappointed if you take your time!!!:D

about 15 bucks... 5 dollars for primer, 5 for paint, 5 for clear.... oh and about 2 bucks for sandpaper.

don't mean to start an arguement... but unless there is a ring on your finger and the Trac is YOURS... i dont think you should have to get PERMISSION.

[Broken External Image]:

Definately sand it down to bare plastic first. The silver coating seems to react to paint. I did my bezel with DupliColor Mirage paint. It's a 3 step process, and comes with 3 cans. I think it ran $17 but that was a while back.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts