Paint Problems!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Canada

Reaction score
OKay get this.

Brand new 2005 ST. Black. Bought it MAYBE 4 months ago.. has 2100 KM on it.. KM as i live in Canada... Eh....

Anyways.. back to the story. Bring my ST into the Dealer to check out the front window.. There is a Crack(or FLAW as he called it) in the factory windshield.. They will replace but he suggested not to cause the factory seal is probably the best you can get and its not leaking or anything... SO. also mentioned to him about small rust spots on the roof of the ST.

When looking ALOT closer, they are all over the body of the ST. Small little rush spots. Not from stone chips..

SO.. what i am told, and i will Quote this.... In the air we breath, there is small particles of metal in the air.. This metal sometimes gets into the paint and reacts with the meatal causing rust spots.. It happens all the time......

So they are gonna acid wash the ST and clean it and give it back to me and it SHOULD work...

Took it to the GM dealer(family deals with him) and some of my buddies.. never told them what this dude at ford said... They all said its likely a crappy Paint job. Yes there is also "Fish Eyes" in the factory paint job...

So... anyone else have this problem? Agree on what the Dealer told me?? Your thoughts?! :blink:

Havent had a problem with the Trac paint. But I had problem with paint on my wifes Escape. They tried to tell me the tiny chips of paint missing were from rocks. This was in places that rocks dont get to. Every time we took it in for anything I had them to put it on the check list. When we got it back they always said they werent able to get it to the body shop ( how convient ). Now the 12 months is up, and I check my records. There is no documentation ( how convient ).

I have had other friends say that the one thing ford always balked on them was paint warranty....

Well i will be talking to the GM dealer about his suggestions.. its under warrenty as i have only had it for 4 months.. So they will have to make sure its 100% fixed... I can be a grouchy bugger at times....

They said it happens all the time, but i have owned SEVERAL vehicles and neevr had this before.. its not like i drive alot either. So time will tell!! I will keep everyone posted and see if i can get some pictures of this stuff...

The paint, Black especially, seems to be nothing but problems. I just found a chip on the hood the size of a bb. bodyshop manager says it aint covered. :(

Take your problems to the district manager. If that doesn't work, use the arbitration process.

Keep on complaining up the ladder until you get a resolution.

Ford needs to know about the problems and about the crappy customer treatment that dealers provide.

Like Gavin said, arbitration. Make sure you keep very good records, write down who you talked to and what they said, dates and times,etc. Next time you go to the dealer, just say LEMON LAW. I had two Jeeps go through lemon law and Chrysler bought back both of them. Find a new dealer too!

how long is the paint on our ST's warranted against defects? My paint is awesome except for a little clear coat "pimple" and there was a chip in it when i got it, and a etched spot on the hood. And I have noticed an area around the jam of the rear door by the window glass where the paint is thin and almost looks mettalic. (its a black truck) Have I waited too long? took delivery october 1, 2004.

JM

"Enviromental Fallout" Thats what they are calling it... Its covered by warrenty for 3 years or 20,000km... I THINK!! not 100% sure.. I went to the other dealer(GM Dealer) that i have delt with in the past and he told me to replace the window and come see him after they do the paint....

So sometime next week they will be cleaning and fixing up my ST.. More news to Follow!

iain, TnB here AGAIN!!! with the G.M. analogy! First: Any windshield defect is

considered an MVSS (Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) or CMVSS (Canadian Motor

Vehicle Safety Standard), at least while covered under the factory warranty.

Second: All here posting opinions of paint problems are correct, Factory paint

should be warranted for 12 mo. or 12,000 mi., at LEAST. You might want to

mention "rail dust", or the metallic particles that get kicked up by the train's wheels

that shipped your new trac all the way from Louisville, Ky, to Canada. Keep and

get all of your complaints and dealer issues documented. If they are not willing

to do this for you, it should be a big red flag, as maybe they are trying to "skirt"

a known issue.

Latest posts