Paint Chipping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay Campbell

Reaction score
I noticed the other day that the paint on my roof was wrinkled and i went and touched and a 3" or so flack came up and then more and more just kept peeling up. I have an 04 oxford white trac. i was wondering if there had been a recall or if there was something i could do to get this fixed with out paying out of pocket since nothing i did caused it, the paint just didnt stick there. it is no longer under warrentee.

Like this?

No, nothing you can do. This is the first time I've heard of it being a problem on a light colored ST though, as it was a known problem on earlier dark colors.

[Broken External Image]:

not quite like that. the primer underneath stuck fine the paint on top of it just didnt stick. its really thin. ill try and get a picture

Hey Jeff i have a 01' DWWBlue also... I have the issue of lil white cracks coming up from under the clearcoat and paint.. Noticed it for years but of course the dealer didn't want to resolve the issue...oh well.... i'm out of warranty as well...

was that sunroof aftermarket or factory???

rob

[Broken External Image]:

Clay,

I had an '89 GMC S15 (same as the Chevy S10) that I bought new. Within 6 months several spots of clearcoat and topcoat flaked away on the hood, leaving the gray showing. The spots that came off were about the size of pencil erasers, and as round, and they were in one area of the hood. It was as if some form of droplets got sprayed on the hood after the primer but before the top coat.

As I said, it took several months before the top coat came off in those droplet areas.

A certified GM dealer repainted the whole hood for me.

TJR

Factory sunroof.

rob, I had my hood repainted, but had to fight to get it done. I'm sure if I went to my purchasing dealer now, they'd laugh. I'm planning a different paint job when the ST is no longer my daily driver.

HEY!!! i can help here...

i noticed one afternoon when i was washing my truck that a bird... took some atomic nuclear dump on my truck and cuz i didnt notice it, it ate through the clear and paint... very sad i kno...

anyway! i went to the dealer and they said they can paint it cuz of some kinda clause. even out of warrenty!

they said u get two paint jobs out of warranty!!! i cant remember the exact name... think it was like PA or something but either way, my truck will be getting a new paint job on the roof and bed cover...

the clause covers nature and like rock damage...

this is why im happy my dad works at the dealer and i kno all of them there! lol

but yea... ill try to find the exact name dude... ill be going back later this week so wont be a problem!

Reaper if you can find a TSB number or a copy of your paperwork (after gettting it repainted)from the dealer that would be a GREAT help to lots of us members....

thanks in advance....

rob

got my fingers crossed.... we'll see.....

ill go down... i dont plan on having it painted till after spring...

i can get all the info on it u need tho!

infact ill have it by friday no doubt!

Sweet.....

I'll be out of town from firday til monday but i'll check back during the weekend.

rob

That's what i love about this site ST members helping each other out...:)

Latest posts