P1233 p0300 p0316

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcirtap

Reaction score
These are the errors stored in my PCM. No Check engine light is on. I used to run the 87 performance tune from torrie and all was good. Begining of summer i change over to the 87 econoomy tune to see if would save on gas. Mid summer the truck started having trouble at around 80-100KMPH. Like was stuttering and really hard time accelerating. Problem came and went. If i gave it alittle more gas it was fine. Checked to see if any soft codes. And p0300, p0316 and p1233 were stored. YEsterday i tried going back to the 87 Performance tune and OMG. If i gave it little gas, it was fine but as soon as i hit the gas pedal hard, the truck started sounding upset, didn't want to accelerated, sounded like it was backfiring. NOT good this was at any speed. I went back to 87 eco tune this morning and it seems to be ok when stepping on gas, but my guess is it will still do it at 80-100kmph like before. P1233 comes up as soon as i start the truck, but no light though.

You may have checked them, but 0300 and 0316 are misfire codes. 1233 has to do with the fuel pump module. How long since you replaced your fuel filter? Same question for spark plugs and wires. I'd start there.

I know the P0300 and P0316 are misfire, but those haven't reapeared yet, even when it was bucking like crazy yesterday with the 87 performance tune. The truck was having a really hard time under hard acceleration, but idled really well and drove well if u were real easy on gas. Only code that keeps reappearing is the 1233 code. It some on even if i just clear the code, start the truck, turn it off boom the code is there right away no check engine light. I was guessing the FPDM was on it way out or something. Tried to remove it, but on of the 8mm bolts is rounded all to hell. Fuel filter was changed about 20 000 kms ago. Plugs and coils still orignal, been meaning to have them done, just keep trying to find a place besides dealer that will do them since most want an arm and leg cuase them *might break*

How many km (or miles) on your Trac? I'm ignorant about the FPDM, but if this were my car I'd change the fuel filter and the spark plugs. You needn't worry about spark plugs breaking, because the 4.6L does not have the infamous plugs as the 5.4L engine. Picture is of plugs I took out of my 08 STA. It's a very simple DIY job, but you'll need a 9/16" spark plug socket. Replacement plugs I used are Motorcraft SP-509.[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i think the 07 actually used different plugs. But i might be wrong. 100 000km on the truck now so 60 000 miles or so....

Gonna start by going to get a fuel filter at ford tmr. Will start there i guess. Truck runs ok now with 87 economy tune. Havent really been on highway though but i am guessing it is back to way it was with 80-100kmph being the trouble spot again. The P1233 still only code that is stored. If cleared it comes right back as soon as truck is started. So will try and get that sorted out. If lucky if is just fuel filter since that is a cheap fix....

Here's the TSB for the 2007-08 4.6L 3V plugs. Have the Lisle 65600 removal tool on hand in case you break any. Check the store's return policy on tools if sealed and not used. GL

thanks swshawaii. AS comfortable as i am with working on my truck, this is something i dont want to mess with. Gonna find a local garage to do it for me. Do you know if ford ever came out with better plugs for the 07 trac? ones i found still seem to be like the old ones. Seems kind of counter productive to install same failing plugs back in....

I believe the Autolite HT1, Motorcraft SP462 and SP514 are all two piece plugs. The Champion 7989 is a single piece design. Search MyST posts, lot's of info.

because the 4.6L does not have the infamous plugs as the 5.4L engine. Picture is of plugs I took out of my 08 STA. It's a very simple DIY job, but you'll need a 9/16" spark plug socket. Replacement plugs I used are Motorcraft SP-509.

My '07 4.6 had the breaky kind... Not sure the exact changeover date to the non-breaky ones, but it wasn't soon enough. Even the 4.6 in some Mustangs and Crown Vics uses the 2 pc ones I believe up to some point.

Just read the PDF file, and in it it states that the 4.6L 3V engine contains the old style easily broken 2pc designs up to build date of 11/30/2007. My '07 was built in July of '06 (ordered it the day the rear roll down window became available) as a replacement for my '01 Job 2 Trac. Even with the breaky plugs, 2 warped exhaust manifolds and a cracked radiator it has been a fantastic vehicle.

Wel truck has been running well, except for the dreaded p1233 code, i changed the fuel filter, rest code and as soon as i turn on truck and shut it off i get p1233 code again. Now i figured i would take a look at the FPDM see what it looks like since it seems to be a common problem on f-150's cause it is mounted against the frame. I had tried to remove it last week but one of the nuts was rounded. This time i said screw it, armed with a dremel i got the stuborn bolt offf. It aint pretty, hard to tell but the pic's but salt has really eaten away at the casing of the FPDM, there are bunch of hair line cracks. My cause is that it still working but on it's way out. I ordered a new one from rockauto, at 60$ figured even if that aint the problem it still needs to be replaced as it is in really bad shape.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts