P1120 code got it today!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose Ayala

Reaction score
Got code P1120, which related to TB, saying that corrosion may be available at wires, connectors, etc.

I checked all cables, wires and no visible corrosion existed. I cleaned the TB and sprayed all wires/ connectors with lubricant.

Anything else I should do?

I removed to code with the Xcal 2 and disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. Went for a ride and no feeling of hesitation or anything else.

Thanks for feedback,

Jose

yes drpertz, I think first step was to check wires, etc. for crrosion and then check if TP sensor is out of range. How do I check that?

Is this something a regular guy with good knowledge can do or do I need specialized tools to take care of this?

Jose

Aloha Jose,

Did you really spray the wires and connectors with lubricant? Lubricant doesn't conduct electricity well. You should use an electrical contact cleaner. If there is really lubricant on the wires, use the contact cleaner three tines, drying them a bit in between.

Hope this helps Ed

P1120 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Out of Range Low (RATCH too Low)

The TP sensor circuit is monitored by the PCM for a low TP rotation angle (or voltage) input below the closed throttle position through the comprehensive component monitor (CCM). If during key ON engine OFF or key ON engine running the TP rotation angle (or voltage) remains within the calibrated self-test range but falls between 3.42 and 9.85% (0.17 and 0.49 volt), the test fails.

TP circuit with frayed wires

Corrosion on TP circuit connectors

VREF open to TP sensor

VREF short to SIG RTN

TP sensor loose pins

A TP PID (TP V PID) between 3.42 and 9.85% (0.17 and 0.49 volt) in key ON engine OFF, continuous memory or key ON engine running indicates a hard fault.

This is from a Diagnostics Code Description someone posted, maybe this will help.

Check this project. To add to it you should get 4.67vdc to 4.72vdc, at wot. With the engine off key on. You also should get a smooth linear voltage change. While slowly opening and closing the throttle by hand. Any spikes or skips. Change the sensor.

Latest posts