P0446 Engine Code 08 STA

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Hi,

I was in an accident about a month ago, where I was rear ended while I sat at a red light, the woman that hit me was in the car with 3 others and didn't even attempt to stop; it was a 50km/hr zone. Anyways, I have had the truck back fixed for a couple of weeks and last night I started the truck and the transmission light came on and has been on since. I used my tuner to get the code and it is P0446, anyone have any experience with this? Could this be caused by the accident? There is 200,000km's (125,000 miles) on the truck and no previous issues.

PS - My RR tail light is also out now but only sometimes, almost looks like an electrical problem?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
That code has to do with the EVAP system. There are many causes to that code. I don't know all the specifics. But, you can start with a visual inspection. A few things I know to check for...Gas cap on tight?(check the rubber seal on the inside of the cap). Maybe over filled last fill up?(some gas could get into the vent line and cause temp blockage). I would crawl under the rear and start checking for any disconnected/loose/cracked fuel and vent hoses. Especially the ones that lead to the charcoal canister. Above the spare tire. ..I believe I have even read the a spider or spider web can be blocking a vent line. I think there is a screen(vent) along the line somewhere you can check for that.

While your under there, inspect/follow the wires exiting the tail light. Maybe, a wire is shorting out.(the insulation on the wire might be rubbed off along it somewhere and touching metal causing the intermittent).

Sorry, I know I am giving you a lot of "I thinks". I'm positive someone will know more on this and chime in. I just figured I give you a place to start. Good luck

How extensive was the damage from the accident? I would start by looking in any repaired areas for shorts or other damage such as Mark described. Or take it back to the shop that did the accident repairs. They could have missed a few things.

A visual inspection may reveal damage to the Evap Canister or the attached vacuum hoses loose or damaged. It is also possible that you have a small crack or spit in the fuel filler pipe that may not be leaking much gas, but is enough to cause a pressure change in the tank and vibrations from driving may have caused the crack to open up.

Since you got the CEL code after several weeks, I don't think the gas cap was damaged in the accident, and you probably will not be able to see any obvious damage. Gas cap should be tested with a vacuum pump to insure it is not leaking. I would also think that you would have gotten a "Gas Cap" warning light?

If you do find the problem and can comfirm it was related to the accident the Insurance should cover it as hidden damage. If it is just a leaking gas cap, that might be hard to prove it was caused by the accident and not coincidence?

...Rich

A visual inspection may reveal damage to the Evap Canister or the attached vacuum hoses loose or damaged. It is also possible that you have a small crack or spit in the fuel filler pipe that may not be leaking much gas, but is enough to cause a pressure change in the tank and vibrations from driving may have caused the crack to open up.

Since you got the CEL code after several weeks, I don't think the gas cap was damaged in the accident, and you probably will not be able to see any obvious damage. Gas cap should be tested with a vacuum pump to insure it is not leaking. I would also think that you would have gotten a "Gas Cap" warning light?

If you do find the problem and can comfirm it was related to the accident the Insurance should cover it as hidden damage. If it is just a leaking gas cap, that might be hard to prove it was caused by the accident and not coincidence?

...Rich

Latest posts