P0401, P0171, P0174 = Tranny Flare ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Clark

Reaction score
I got the CEL with P0171 & PO174 accompanied by Tranny Flare back around mothers day.

Replaced the Notorius Vacuum Elbow and everything went back to normal.

A couple days ago I got the CEL with the P0401 accompanied by the Tranny Flare ,, I replace the DPEF or EGR pressure sensor and everything is back to normal.

I have a replacement tranny with about 20k miles on it,, and I wont be taken it in to be checked for a few more days,, I got to get my other car put back together and running...

But doesn't it seem like a lot of the people having problems with the Tranny Flare might have Vacuum or EGR problems that just have not triggered the CEL yet? I am pretty sure I noticed the flare before I got the CEL?

01 Sport Trac..

there are some nice photos showing the locations,, search for Vacuum elbow or the codes listed above,,, the pics are prolly in numerous threads as well as one of the guys albums..

the hose is on the top of the motor,, front passenger side,, there is 2 hose that go around the front corner,, the bottom one get s hole in it .. easey and cheap fix for $5

the other is a just plug in gizmo on the driverside of the motor,,, on the side near the top,.. $33 at Autozone,, 2 possible differnt part numbers for the 01s.

I'm having the same problem with the same 2 codes and tranny flare. Mine started at a similar time, but I also had a rough idle and low MPG all of a sudden. I cleaned the MAF with contact cleaner and it got better for 1 day and then got worse (idle)... The first codes I got were the P0171 and P0174. I found the elbow leak and tried to clean my IAC. After that, I replaced the elbow, dpfe, and iac. I reset the computer and 2 days later I got another code for excessive egr pressure and the tranny flare. I replaced the egr vacuum controller and reset the computer but it didnt help. The rough idle was still there and it felt weak so i went ahead and spent the $95 on an autozone MAF. The idle and engine are fine now. Im not really sure what the heck is going on. Ive scanned my computer and the CEL turned itself off after it threw the egr code. I cleared the code and nothing is going on when I view actual data and no codes lately, but the jerking is still there around 40mph.

Daniel, do you have an aftermarket intake filter on? (K&N, Mac, etc?) The problem with your old MAF could have been oil on the sensors. Since you have a new one, no way of telling but that could have been the problem. Alittle electrical contact cleaner cures it.;)

when I picked up the new DPFE (DPFE) the receipt strongly suggested cleaning the EGR valve.. which I have not done.. but I suspect the manufacture might have encountered a problem with dirty EGR valve interfering with the new pressure switch (DPFE)..?

My trac is stock... no K&N. I did clean the MAF with contact cleaner but it got worse a couple of days later... I recleaned it and still ran crappy so i replaced it. I lost 4mpg when the MAF started dying. After replacing it, ive gotten 2.75 of those MPG back. This ethanol gas blows monkey balls. I may pull the egr valve off and clean it. I think I saw they are only $55...

The only problem I'm having now is the tranny feels like its jerking at 40mph... like its slipping or hesitating.

Latest posts