P0304 error and missfire

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaffo oxnard

Reaction score
I got a CEL and rapid blinking light. P0304 code missifre on the #4. I have had problems with this in the past. I started the Trac once I got home and grabbed the #4 plug wire to make sure it was fully seated - and got LIT UP! I had the plug wire routed too close to the exhaust EGR supply tube, and it burned through the wire. I went into my bag of spare parts and came up with a longer wire that allowed me to route the wire further forward, then come back at the #4 plug. This keeps the wire further away from these hot pipes. They have an old fiberglass wrap on them (at least the main EGR pipe does), but the wrap that was on the little pipes that feed the DFPS (?) sensor, if one ever existed, is gone. bare hot pipes that you have to feed plug wires through. I'm going to see if I can wire tie the plug wires in place so they don't come into contact with these pipes.

I may end upw putting 6 - 8" of heat resistant silicone hose on the plug wires and see if I can protect them better. That fiberglass wrap looks shot.