P0301 on Freestar

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Kearns 2

Reaction score
Hello all,

Got a bit of a problem. On short vacation and the van started running rough accompanied by the flashing check engine (with occasional solid) light. Went to Advance Auto and the diagnostic came back as P0301 and showed misfire on #6. Now we just had new plugs and wires (Motorcraft) put on last March. I was also wondering if I've done something to prompt this. Yesterday before we left for the drive up (about 110 miles) I put a full bottle of Lucas Fuel Treatment into an almost full tank of fuel.

Any advice? We are going to have to get to a mechanic tomorrow (I've no tools with me anyway) and I would like to have some clue about what they may need to do so I don't get violated....

Thanks!

P0301

Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected.
Not #6.

Im not sure about #1 location. if it is like most fords. that would be the on the rear under the intake plenum, pasegenger side. There are no plug wires. It is COP. Easiest thing to check is if the harness to he COP is not loose. Most likley will need to be put on a scope for the answer. Could be a fouled plug or COP going bad.

Im not sold on fuel additives. When I do use them. I only buy, chevron techron/chevron progaurd.

P0306? Did you pull spark plug #6 to inspect it?

P0301 through P0310 - Misfire Detection Monitor The misfire detection monitor is designed to monitor engine misfire and identify the specific cylinder in which the misfire has occurred. Misfire is defined as lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, poor compression, or any other cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I just read you don't have tools.

Have them examine/change the boot from the COP to the plug first. They are bad to carbon track if cracked and cause a misfire. Can also allow moisture in if cracked.

Latest posts