P0193

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A K

Reaction score
Finally was able to pull a code from my seemingly phantom engine hiccups.

P0193, or, in layman's terms, fuel pump defective, fuel pressure regulator defective, replace fuel filter, replace fuel pressure sensor, or replace fuel pump.

Before I start with the easy and get to the difficult, I just wanted to check to see whether anyone ever had this issue and what solved it. I'm hoping there is a common issue that will allow be to skip A, B, anc C when finding out D fixes it.

And, if/when I get to the fuel pressure sensor (assuming that is the cause), I assume I need to de-pressure the fuel system before removing it, lest I cover myself in gas?

Thanks all.

Last edited by a moderator:
The filter is easy to change and can cause the code you have listed.

You can rent for free (give money, they will hold it until you return the gauge) from Autozone a fuel pump pressure gauge to show exactly what the pressure is.

If you determine you need to replace the pump, you can do one of two things to relive the pressure in the line.

Pull the fuse to the pump while it is running and it will use the fuel in the line and relieve the pressure. Or, hit the inertia switch with something like a screwdriver handle while it is running, basically does the same thing as pulling the fuse as it shuts off the power to the pump...

Welcome to the world of variable speed fuel pumps. This system uses a seperate controller for the fuel pump that varies the fuel pump speed to increase or reduce pressure. The primary purpose of this system was to slow the fuel pump down to alleviate noise when the vehicle was at idle. This is a simple system but gets very confusing very fast and if you do not have the factory scan tool is basically impossible to diagnose because you have to know what the pcm is seeing and when and compare it to actual gauge readings. The 2 most common faiulures are the fuel rail pressure sensor adn the fuel pump driver module itself. When the fuel pumps go bad on these you always replace the fuel pump driver module as well or you run the risk of issues.

What's the bummer is that the 04-05's do not have schrader valves, which makes testing the pressure that much more difficult.

I suppose I'll replace the fuel filter and pressure sensor first (shouldn't be that expensive) and reset the computer to see if it sends the code again. If so, then I'll do the pump.

Thanks for the guidance Joe and l1.

Why are you willing to spend potentially a boat load of money and your time by swapping out parts that may not be needed when you could take it to a reputable shop and have them diagnose it. Typical diagnostics are only an hours worth of labor and then you would know for sure. Sure there is the whole pride thing but I would rather have a fatter wallet...JMO

Fuel filter needs to be changed anyway--I haven't changed it in 75,000 miles.

I can get an OEM sensor for about $30.00.

If it still throws the code, then the only thing left is the pump assembly. As far as I know, the pump driver module is not a separate part from the pump assembly. So, it's really the end of the line in terms of what to repair.

The pump driver module IS seperate from the pump assembly and normally runs a little over $100. A decent fuel pump is gonna run you a couple hundred. After these parts there is still the vehicle wiring and the pcm to take into consideration not to mention the various inputs that the pcm uses to calculate fuel pump speed output.

Chances are you put a filter and a sensor on it and you will be ok, like I said the sensor is a common failure but if it still ain't right after that then you are realistically blindly changing parts and hoping that you get lucky.

Hmm. I received some bad information then (but again affirms why MyST is the best). Long story short, with this information, I decided to take it to my dealer and asked they diagnose it. You're right in that I could be blindly throwing money at parts that aren't broken.

Latest posts