P0171 & po174

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Lee

Reaction score
The last few weeks I have been getting P0171 and P014. Its says its running lean in bank 1 & 2. The other day after the truck had been sitting for 2 days and I started it up to go to work the idle was up and down. It wouldn't hold a steady rpm. I decided to drive it a little and see if it went away when it got warm and it did. Its been almost a week since then and no more problems there. I am still getting the lean codes every 3 or 4 days. I tried twice cleaning the MAF. I have checked the hoses and everything in general under the hood. I have a fairly new IAC and EGR pressure sensor. I have been told it could be a vacuum leak, intake manifold, MAF, and a few other thing I can;'t remember right now. The truck seems to run fine and I am assuming it takes the lean detection a few times to trip the light because the P0174 is always pending when I have cleared it. Could it be the EGR valve? I have 160,000 miles on it.

Just replaced mine today. Yes you have to buy the complete part. $51. OUCH!!!! If anyone can use this part....less the rubber corner to the PCV valve, I will sell it extremely cheap plus postage.

The only way to really check the elbow is to remove it completely and bend it to see any splits or cracks. Also might want to check and replace the PCV valve.

:banana:

Just replaced mine today. Yes you have to buy the complete part. $51. OUCH!!!!

Where did you buy it? Obviously not from our site sponsor Torrie at FastPartsNetwork.com. He has it listed for $23.63 + shipping.

Part number is 4L5Z6758HA.

I used a bypass elbow from a 302 ford water pump... It's been on the truck for 4 years now w/o issue... 3 bux... I shortened it a little to minimize the amount of unsupported rubber, but so far so good... you can buy a lot of cheap elbows for that $51...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. I will check it out tomorrow. I should have thought to check it. A friend of mine had one leaking on his 2001 explorer sport, but his was stumbling real bad so figured it was a vacuum leak

Well checked it out today and that elbow is fine. I pulled it off, cleaned it up and checked for leaks, nothing there. Any other ideas on what it may be?

Thanks for the help

Bank 1 and 2 means the whole system is leaking. Somewhere between the MAF and your valves there is a leak big enough to cause the whole manifold to run level. A trick is WD40. With the engine running spray wd40 in random areas around the manifold where pipes connect, plug in, or bolts that were recently removed are. The engine will increase or decrease in idle rpm when it burns the wd40.

Also with it being both banks you might want to look at your fuel filter and/or fuel pump depending on the milage. My pumps usually last 80 to 110k miles

Had some other problems creep upon me that might be related. I have a miss under load. Has anyone had problems with fuel injectors? If it isn't getting any fuel or the injector is clogged wouldn't it cause a lean condition?. I am also considering changing the plugs, wires and coil pack. got about 80k since the last time it was done.

FYI for those with the cracked hose who don't want to have to buy the whole part. Autozone sells what is a drop in replacement that is actually better and stronger than the original elbow. It is reinforced while the original was not. It is made as a bypass hose, but fits perfectly and only costs $7. Autozone part number is A70948. I found this by just examining their hoses till I found one that fit just right.