P0171 and P0174

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Rich

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im having a problem with my sport trac and after googling a bit i found this site.

What happen:

wife borrowed the truck and when she returned home she said it was running hot. I took the truck around back , while the truck was still running i opened the radiator cap and started adding water from the hose to the radiator. Well this didn't go so well as the thermostat housing immediately cracked and started spewing water all over the place. It was then that i noticed the check engine light had come on. I waited for the truck too cool down before i finished filling up the radiator and promptly took it to a repair shop. They replaced the upper and lower thermostat housings .

They told me that the truck was also throwing (P0171 & P0174) codes and was skipping on 3 cylinders. They changed the plugs and wires on the 3 cylinders that were skipping and replaced the coil pack . However the truck was still sending codes.

The truck is hard to start and when it does start it have great difficulty idling until the truck warms up. It has a very noticeable loss of power when pulling off and on the top end. I have not noticed any white smoke coming from the exhaust pipe or water in the oil pan.

The problem im having is that my truck is throwing 2 codes . (P0171 and P0174).

From every thing ive read this is a very common issue with the sport trac's.

What I have done:

replaced fuel filter.

removed and cleaned the MAF.

removed and cleaned the IAC.

removed and cleaned the EGR.

replaced the DPFE sensor. (it was melted)

removed and check for cracks in the pcv hose elbo's.

I have not changed the intake gaskets.

If someone couple point me in a direction i have not though of it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a similar problem with my 2005 and was throwing the same 2 codes. It ended up being some sort of rubber evap hose that is located inside the drivers side rear wheel well under the plastic wheel well cover. A guy who was mounting new rear tires found it by chance when he saw it hanging down while the truck was on the lift. Two trips to the dealer and they could not figure out the problem and this guy put my misery to an end by plugging a hose back on where it belonged. I took it for a drive and it ran great and the CEL turned off right away. Went back and gave him a c-note for a tip!!! :banana:

Do a search for the P0171 and P0174 and you will find it is a cracked elbow off the PCV valve. REAL common problem that a lot of people throw a lot of money at. A $40 part from Ford to actually fix. See one of our sponsors for the cheapest price. I couild not see the crack on mine, but after replacing the elbow and line, I had no more problems or codes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keith,

I hate to say it but it sounds as if you may have popped a head gasket when it overheated. A vacuum leak can affect the way the vehicle idles but doesn't really have an effect once you are under way. Are teh 3 cylinders that are mnisfiring all on the same side??

Have been experiencing the same problems with the same codes on my 2001 Job 1. For some reason though, my idle was somewhat smooth and I experienced some hesitation and stuttering under throttle. Did the following:

Cleaned MAF

Cleaned Thottle body

Cleaned K&N filter

Cleaned IAC

Did not find any vacuum leaks

Replaced Upper/Lower Manifold Intake gaskets along with front chain tensioner.

Inspected hoses and PVC while engine was apart (all looked fine)

After doing all of this, the codes would not go away and the drive did not change.

Today, I got under to check for manifold leaks and found a loose O2 sensor under drivers side. Tightened it, cleared codes and took test drive, appears to have corrected problem. I have a long drive today which will be ultimate test. Cross your fingers.

:banana:

:supercool:

Latest posts