P0171 and P0174 -- my turn

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. When you say the intake manifold gaskets, do you mean the o-rings or the whole shabang? Sounds expensive to replace and maybe not a DIY job.

Damn. Ever been screwed without getting kissed? I JUST bought this thing.

Job 1 is pretty notorious for the intake gaskets to fail. When they do, it screws with the air to fuel ration, thus tripping the CEL and getting the 171 and 174 codes.

It is not just an O-ring thing, whole "shebang" kind of thing...

No, it is some work, but certainly not DIFFICULT per say.

You will want to use QUALITY gaskets as it is a COMMON issue, no sense in doing it only to have to do it again. Several have done it only to find out it still leaks. Take the time to do it right, use quality gaskets, and torque in steps....

Got the intake manifold gaskets (upper AND lower) replaced today. There was also lots of gunk in the intake manifold itself which got a good cleaning.

Codes are cleared and she's running like a clock now. Hopefully, this is the last of this particular problem.

Yeah, had I been a bit for educated, I would have spent more time looking for a Job 2. Oh well, live and learn. At least it's running good now.

Hopefully, after the remainder of my tune-up to-do list, it'll last me a few years. :supercool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, been a while on this post, but on that note, I seem to have an intake manifold leak myself. I have an 01, Job1, ordered the upper and lower gaskets and plan to replace this weekend. Any suggestions. Just a quick summary of problem, seems to start up well, runs well after warmed up, but some serious hesistation on throttle. I do hear a hiss in the engine bay, although i could be wrong, sounds like its coming from behind the engine. Pulled codes P0171 and P0174. While I'm in there, also plan on replacing my front timing chain tensioner. I have 159K on her and first major problem she's given me.

Latest posts