Overheating with climate in auto

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Stadnicki

Reaction score
Lately when the truck is cold and warms up with the automatic climate control set in "auto" temp gage goes full hot and triggers the over temp warning. I'll put the climate control in any other mode, the gage drops back to normal and the warning message goes away... If the truck isn't fully warmed up and I put it back to auto the temp gage will go back up again. Once it is fully warmed up after driving for a while it doesn't have any problems. She's a 2010 V6 4x4 with 97k miles. Anyone ever experience this or might know what's going on?

I hate when my Fords start to fall apart after 100k, especially since it is only 3 years old. Time to start looing for disposable car for commuting so I can hold on to her as long as possible.

I don't believe that there is a low coolant light.

Do you mean that no air at all ever comes out of the floor vents? This problem would have absolutely nothing to do with the engine overheating.

No coolant low level light - check physical level as l1tech advises. When I my 07 Gen2 V6 HVAC controls froze up the culprit was the fan controller that lives in ducting behind the glove box. It was an easy 20 minute fix; part cost me about $55. My write-up with pics is in Maintenance section of Projects. You've got high mileage for vehicle age - have you kept up with a coolant flush or two?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup- coolant tank was empty! I haven't had the coolant flushed yet. I just hate having people working on my stuff. Off to autoparts store for some more. Hopefully that was the problem. It's def not like me to have something get low like that...

You might want to monitor your motor for coolant loss and evidence of leaks. See link below for tips on checking your oil dipstick. If you continue to see coolant loss, pressure check of your cooling system is advised. Very important that you're not getting coolant into your oil - say from blown head gasket. A very small amount of glycol will destroy bearings pronto.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts