Overhead console wrong temp.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Tarr

Reaction score
The overhead outside temp reading has gone nuts! It's in the 30's outside and my guage reads 69 degrees. I wish it were true but......Has anyone had this experience with this? The compass is right on but the temp reading baffles me. It worked fine until this week. Where is the sensor and where does it plug in? Thanks. Jim :banghead:

The sensor is in front of the radiator near the bottom, I think on the passenger side. Sorry, I don't have a pic of it. I have never looked to where it plugs in. It could be just a case where dirt, or other gunk is caked all over it and it doesn't get a good access to the ambient air. I know that mine has been displaying about 5-10 degrees warmer than I think it should for about the last year or two. but it just hasn't been worth the trouble to dig into it.

The sensor is at the bottom front of the radiator. You could try wiping it off. Or unplug it clean the contacts, replug it.

If that doesnt do it. Most likely the sensor is bad. Actually mine has been as much as 10 off since new. I dont pay much attion to it. I think next to the radiator is a bad location. For slow city travel. I think it picks up some radiator temp..IMO

12A647 Sensor Assy **7Z-12A647-AA

FYI,

I had a very similar issue and the sensor corrected it.

There are two sensors that are similar, but clocked differently. I ran into this with the local parts store. The guys found me one on application and it was black. I went to plug it in to discover that the square corner of the otherwise round connector was in the wrong corner. Compared new and old and realized the connector was clocked differently. Went back to the parts store and they found me the right one. I forget if it was a year earlier or later (my Trac is an '03).

Hope that helps!

Thanks everyone. I found the sensor but, am having a time getting it out of the socket. I plan to try and clean the contacts and try it again. If that doesn't work, put a new sensor in.

Jim:banana:

Latest posts