Overhead Console Questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy VanNess

Reaction score
Well, my compass and temperature gauge went out the other day. Not sure when, just noticed it was off. Earlier, I checked all the fuses, those are good. So, my thoughts then turned to the console itself. So, I removed it and noticed that the panel seems to have popped. I added a picture for reference. (upper right hand corner of the display) The questions I have are: 1) is it worth it to buy a new display panel, or should I just buy the whole control unit? (the white plastic)

I also have another question regarding the driver's map bulb. Mine went out several years ago, and I know it is a common problem. But now that I have the overhead console apart, it's probably a good time to tackle that one as well. But how do I get he bulb out? It seems fused in there.

Thanks for any information,

Tommy

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
That display looks like the two I have. I think it's normal.

Use a volt meter to check for an open circuit.

The bulb has probably melted the cheap-ass plastic bulb holder around the bulb base (they did mine). Those are about $65.00. You can break off the glass bulb from the gray base, remove both pieces and then use a small file or Dremel with a sanding drum to dress the opening to fit a new bulb. BTW - reflector assembly snaps off of the bulb holder assembly.

About three weeks ago I purchased a used console from eBay for less than $40.00 (well over $100.00 new). It was in good condition and the display and bulbs worked! If you can restore power, that might be a good way to go. Be sure to get the same option for the rearward section (garage door opener button or sunroof control).

Hope this helps.

Thanks Yardsale. I do actually have power to the overhead console. I checked the bulbs before removing it, but I think the display panel is shot. (burn marks on the left side). I can solder in a new one, but it would be very sloppy work as I have not perfected my soldering skills yet. I will be checking eBay as well as a few of the local salvage yards for the entire console. ($40 is a great deal)

After my post, I tried removing the bulbs, and you are right. The plastic is so cheap and brittle. Part of the grey bulb holder cracked, and now the bulb won't come out because it is too big to pull out of the black plastic surrounding. I did read Justin Ellsworth's project about adding LED's to the map lights, so I may do that while I am at it.

Thanks for the tips Yardsale. (just checked eBay and there is one for $65)

Tommy

Your display may be bad (the burn marks appear on both of mine and they work, so that is not a tell-tale sign). Regardless - it no worky. My soldering skills are pretty good, but I think I would not want to mess with that part if I could get a good used console for $65.00 (you'd have to get the display somewhere anyway (#8)).

I think the LED conversion is a good idea. The printed circuit ribbon used to power the bulbs is a weak design that it is destroyed after two bulb changes. I am not sure whether that part is available separately or with the bulb holder (courtesy lamp (#6)) assembly. LEDs!

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/2001/FORD/EXPLORER%20SPORT%20TRAC/?siteid=318&vehicleid=1366680&diagram=MH01320&diagramCallOut=8

[Broken External Image]:

Mine tends to go blank when it gets hot outside. I found that if I hit it 2-3 times on the passenger side of the display it will come back on so you may want to try that. I do remember reading somewhere that one of the resistors works loose on the board and resoldering will fix the problem.

Check all the solder joints, under a magnifier. I remember a post a few years ago. Of one of the resistors, have a common problem. Of broken solder joints...

The repair was to retouch with with a pencil solder iron.

Not to be too judgmental, but did you try pressing the MODE button a few times?

I had the overhead console in my Sport Trac and one day I noticed that it was not working anymore. It was like that for several months until I tried to figure out what went wrong. I started by pressing the MODE button and low and behold the damned thing started working !!

It appears that the MODE button cycles through a number of settings for "Compass, Temp, etc" and one of them turns the damned thing OFF...and the owners manual never mentions that.

....Rich

Thanks for the tips guys. Previously, after a bit of research, I did try pushing the "Mode" button a bunch of times, but it didn't work. However, I did just return from the junkyard with a new one, and it only cost me $20.

Tommy

P.S. Love this site!

I just fixed/replaced mine! I got another complete overhead console from an Explorer. Unplugged two plug and put in the place of old unit, Took me about 10 mins. It was ez\

Latest posts