Overfilling tranny

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Taylor

Reaction score
I took my ST to the stealership for a tranny flush. Figured that was the safest, and I usually have them do it every 20,000 miles or so. This is not my daily driver any more, so I brought it home and it sat... A couple of days later, I hooked up the trailer and headed out on a nice vacation. Upon arriving last Thursday at the campground after a 250 mile drive, I found oil everywhere on the hitch and the bottom of the truck.

Checking the tranny dipstick, I found it was 3 inches above the full mark!:angry: Called the original dealer the next morning, and they said to take it to the nearest Ford dealer, and that they would reimburse me for the cost of having the excess sucked out. I asked at that time whether is was going to do any additional damage to drive it any more(nearest dealer was 40 miles away), and was told that there is a vent at the top of our trannys, and that's where the oil was probably coming from, so no problem...

Pulled out of the campground, with the tranny cold, and got a big 2-3 flare... This happened the first two times it tried to shift, but did not happen again as it warmed up. No flashing OD...

Second dealer pulled two quarts of excess tranny fluid out of it... Obviously, it was overfilled even more than that, as I had now driven 300 miles since the flush. Second dealer said the problem with the overfill was that the tranny fluid would aerate, and send foam to the tranny, and that may have been the cause of the 2-3 flair when cold.

So, I'm going to talk with the original dealer in the morning... What would you ask for? What are the problems and possible problems down the road due to this screw up?

I'm going to ask for the flush to be done again, as the antifoaming qualities of the original oil is probably gone(just thought of that one...). I'm also going to ask for a 50,000 mile warranty on the tranny. Anything goes wrong, and they will fix it.

What else should I be thinking of? All suggestions are welcome!

A complete cleaning of the underside.

The second dealer already did that, so I could see if I had any other leaks before I took it back to dealer #1. Forgot to mention that in the 1st post. Thanks!

by Chris T, 6/12/2011 20:33 MT

Category - Fluids: Oil, ATF, Coolant, etc.

I'm going to ask for the flush to be done again, as the antifoaming qualities of the original oil is probably gone(just thought of that one...). I'm also going to ask for a 50,000 mile warranty on the tranny. Anything goes wrong, and they will fix it.

What else should I be thinking of? All suggestions are welcome!

They have already done all that they are going to do. The overfilling made a mess and that's about all it is going to do. Asking for a 50k warranty is going to get you laughed out of the shop..save your breath

Well, I got them to redo the flush and do a better job of cleaning up the underside. I was hoping on the warranty, but I agree that was a stretch! :grin:

I couldn't even get another oil change out of them(although I really didn't want it!). :argue:

They did say to stop back in a week, and see if there was any other leaks (such as seals...).:banghead:

This is the last time I will be taking my ST to Brondies Ford in Toledo, Ohio. I bought the ST there, and have had ok luck with the service I've had them do. I had heard rumors that their service was going down the toilet :toilet:, and I guess I just found out it's true...

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris, One of the oldest Ford dealers in my area, AC Collins. They have got so big in volume sales. There service sucks now. They are 4 miles from my house.

The dealer where I bought my Trac was 10 miles from me. They had an excellent service dept. They joined there dealership with another. They both were known for excellent 5 star service. Now they are 30 miles away. If I need good service I trust from Ford. I have to drive farther than I want..:banghead:

Funny you talk about an overfill.... I was getting my Oil done 2 weeks ago and the mechanic told me that my Tranny Fluid was well over the mark. I had my Tranny Fluid done at the dealer about 80,000 KM ago and I have had NO ISSUES.

Should I be worried?

Whit

Chris27: No idea if you should be worried... Actually, that makes me feel better!

EddieS'04: The dealer here has been in this city for over 50 years. They have always been known for good service and fair pricing. However, they had a fire about 5 years ago, and built a fancy new showroom and service area(typical Ford design), and they have been going down ever since... :sad: There are a few other dealers in this area, so I guess I'll try one of them for my next tranny flush.

Latest posts