Outside Temp Indicator Reading TOO HIGH

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Kong

Reaction score
Just noticed that the outside temp indicator was reading way high, 115 when it was maybe 72 degrees out. :banghead:

Tried cycling through the info panel modes, turned the vehicle on and off a few times. The compass is right. This is from my 2005 Trac XLT.

Any ideas? I did a search here but nothing came up. Any help appreciated.

Mine had road gunk/sludge accumulated on it an did the same thing (05 Trac XLT). I took it off and cleaned it with WD 40 and a rag. Put it back on and it worked much better. These are notorious for being a few degrees off on the best of days. Especially when mine (A Black one) is parked nose first to the sun on a 105* Tennessee summer day!:supercool:

This is it. On the drivers side just to the right of center on the lower radiator support, looking at it from the front of the truck.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
mine was 10 or so degrees off, then went about 50 degrees off.. a trip to the wrecker, and i grabbed a few off other explorers, found the one that was the most accurate and used it.... now its almost exact. only cost me $5 for 3 sensors..... make sure you bring the old one, there are differences.

I found it. No debris or anything on the outer surface. Is there a trick to removing the sensor from the housing? I didn't want to force anything. The threads were beyond finger tight and I wasn't sure if that's what detaches the sensor from the housing.

Latest posts