OutBoard Motor ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Castineira

Reaction score
Hi all,

Got a chance to get a killer deal around hear on a polar kraft with a 25 hp Merc BigFoot(four stroke). Anyways as many of you may know up in the NorthEast were in a pretty much frozen. Anyway the boat is stored outside and we have no way to heat up the motor. I went last night and the motor kicks over and fires right up but the pisser tube is frozen so we had to shut her right down, it fires right up, and shifts in to forward and reverse easily, other than that I can't say anymore. Any ideas, should I bite the bullet and by it, it does fire up is that enought to know that all the major components work. Thank you, if you could I would love for quick answers as this might disappear.

CHRIS

Chris do you have a electric heat gun? Might be able to blow hot air into the tube and thaw it. Or hook the hose to a hot water heater till it thaws. Insnt the pisser tube to show the pump is working? If so I would want to see it flow for peace of mind. Used is always as is once it is home.

Do not force water through the pee hole.

It is directly connected to the rubber impeller and housing and you can damage the seal between them.

Changing the impeller is generally a once a year duty, so don't worry too much about it.

You will not know the motor's true status until it is taken out and put under a load.

If it's a good killer deal go for it, you have a little cash to work with.

Pee Hole is not a problem and is a low cost fix even if it is the pump. You are not going to get a good flow anyway until the thermostate opens up.

try and get the boat/motor inside an enclosed garage for a day or two and maybe it will thaw out, then try it, probably just frozen, and new water pump on an outboard is not all that much, any waranty on the motor ???

Too late for this water pump.

The water pump is driven by the same shaft that turns the prop. If you already shifted through F & R, you turned the shaft that the water pump is attached to. You're wither finr, or you tore up the water pump impeller. It is only a $30 fix. Four strokes don't have the problems 2 strokes do with ring wear, runing lean an burning a hole in the piston, etc. If it runs, but it.

Latest posts