other cars

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Hall

Reaction score
My son-in-law has a 2002 Cavalier that is not charging the battery. He has changed out the battery, starter, and altennator. He says all the fuses check good. When he recharges the battery and with the car running the battery reads about 12.7 volts (battery voltage). When the car is shut off the battery voltage will start to increase. Does anybody know if the voltage regulator is built into the altennator on the chevy altennators? He is about 100 miles away from me, so I have not seen the car. Does anyone have any ideas?

Might start off by asking him what all he has hooked up in the car, that uses battery power (i.e. large stereo system). that can drain the battery in on or off mode.

If he is only measuring 12.7 when the car is running the alternator is not charging and the regulator is inside the alternator (GM has been doing this since 1963). Presuming his cables are good (and his chassis ground) he may just have a bad plug or wire leading to the alternator. The auto parts store where he purchased the alternator should be able to check it. If not, find a local rebuilder, they can.

Yeah, sounds like a bad alt....... On that car they are all built in..

Todd Z

Thanks for your help. It was a bad neg. ground cable, don't know which one, but it is $60 from the dealer. Also the new altennator is bad, at least the warrenty covers that.

Latest posts