OT- Shelby to LOWER replacement GT500KR hood price to $9700

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Phillips

Reaction score
Interesting read. Shelby Automobiles is lowering the replacement cost of the GT500KR hood from roughly $18,000 down to $9700. Keep in mind- this isn't to get an authentic Shelby hood for your existing Mustang, this is the replacement cost in case of damage or an accident!

:blink:

Funny, just so happens I'm turning my "lesser" Mustang into a KR clone, which seems like what they're trying to avoid...

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, if you are able to ay $80K for a vehicle, and you think said vehicle is going to be a classic, then why would you complain when you wrap it around a deer and you have to pay premium (or actually your insurance company) to get it back to showroom condition? Heck, I wouldn't blame the insurance company for increasing your rates drastically or dropping you all together. As alot of people say, "you get what you pay for". You got a vehicle that will be unique due to the fact that, like the article says:

The last thing we wanted was a V6 Mustang customer going over to his dealer, grabbing one of those KR carbon fiber hoods, and slapping it on his V6. To me, that's more of a disservice to our customers and brands both SVT and Shelby.

Then complain when you have to pay those prices.:wacko:

my friend just unloaded his 07 shelby gt for a new chally rt :wacko:

he got 27k for the shelb with 24k miles and paid 33.5k for the chally. it is the old school blue with the long rt stipe down the side. not to bad, but slooooooow.

IMO, what Shelby is doing is bullcrap. How about pricing the hoos at a fair price, but issuing a $10,000 core charge?

So, insurance can be affordable, but the exclusitivity remains.

Tom

My uncle went to the dealership a while back to see the Shelby, maybe test drive. He said that the shelby really wasn't anything special. According to him it was like all they did was beef up the engine a little but. They also had roush's there that day which he cared nothing about. But he left with one. He had no intention to buy but he said they were so much more for your money compared to the Shelby and that when he drove it he couldn't leave it on the lot. He traded his 06 GT for it.

First Shelby GT I saw in the Showroom was a total joke (not the 500)

The faux hoodscoop is attached with unpainted pop-rivetts, ugly as hell.

The sales guy jumped in the car and pulled the hood release, did not remove the hood pins:eek:

bent the pin plates and the alum hood, just shook my head.

Than I gazed out the showroom window at the car hauler unloading the first Stage 3 roush on the west coast (1 of 42):wub:

Told my sales guy, go prep the car, thats mine, will be taking it home ASAP.

Got her home, than had to deal with the wifelette:(

Clay said:

My uncle went to the dealership a while back to see the Shelby, maybe test drive. He said that the shelby really wasn't anything special. According to him it was like all they did was beef up the engine a little but.

Are you referring to the Shelby GT or Shelby GT500? Because if you're referring to the GT500, to say it's nothing special is a bit disingenuous. There is much that sets it apart from a standard Mustang, and even a Roush than just having its "engine beefed up a little bit". A GT500 comes with a supercharged 5.4L V8 & 6-speed tranny, along with a myriad of other performance/handling/appearance enhancements, while the others have the 4.6L V8/5-speed tranny. And don't get me wrong, I'm not denigrating any of the Roush models either. They're far different from a standard Mustang GT in terms of performance, handling, and appearance, just like the Shelby GT500.

The Shelby GT of 2006-2008 on the other hand, wasn't all that much different from the average Mustang GT in terms of performance and handling. Pretty much any Mustang GT can be upgraded to the level of a Shelby GT with the very same parts from the Ford Racing Performance Parts catalog that Shelby used to build the Shelby GT. But then again, that's how Carroll Shelby and his boys built the original '65 Shelby GT350 too, by raiding the Ford Racing Parts catalog. I think that the Shelby GT was designed and built kind of "in the spirit" of the original GT350, which was somewhat "slapped together" too. Hence, the pop-riveted scoop, etc. I've read some bios of Shelby and guys that worked for him like Pete Brock, and that was how they did things back then, pretty much by the seat of their pants.

I never understood why the '06-08 Shelby GT wasn't named GT350. They brought back the GT500 name, so why not GT350?

Bottom line is that they both carry the Shelby name, vehicle heritage, and the rep for performance that goes along with it. That's worth a lot to many enthusiasts and collectors.

I really doubt it was a 500. My uncle didn't specify but I doubt there would be a 500 at my dealership just because there is no one in my town really that would buy one.

Don't be so sure just 'cause they're a small-town dealer. A small dealer near me (town's population is only about 5,000) had a GT500 in stock, and ended up selling it over the internet to a buyer in Germany!

Well I went a looked at the GT500, I doubt my uncle would have talked about it that way. He seemed to be talking about a Shelby that he could possibly afford, and that would not be the 500.

...doubt there would be a (Shelby) 500 at my dealership just because there is no one in my town really that would buy one.

:D No one in SHELBY , NC would buy one?!:lol:

TT is right, the 500 is a totally diff animal, is a heavyer car by about 300 lbs, the suspension is not up to par with the Roush st 3

But that engine is forged, the potential is fantastic.

Guy in my club just installed the new KB mammoth huffer on his, puttin down 620 RWHP.

That my friends is 750 Crank, and he has room to grow.[Broken External Image]:

Love my Roosh car

750 crank hp on a non-forged, 281???:eek: Holy crap! Does your club have pool going on how long before he blows the engine?:blink:

Latest posts