OT- Road Runner email ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather Rueckert

Reaction score
I just got RR at home and set up my email accounts tonight. So far I am very dissappointed with their email account options. There seems to be alot of features missing with RR that I have now with Att World.net. For instance, I can't find the address book feature, and there is no mutiple folder options. Is their email service really that basic, or am I missing something?:huh: Thanks for any help! -Heather

Use outlook.

I've got five separate emails (family set up)

And, I can create all the folders I like, plus outlook has a good address book.

Just don't exceed 2 gig of emails in one email name's file...outlook really hates that.

Web based email is the only way to go. Yahoo, Google, Hotmail and so on. Can be accessed from any computer with an internet connection including your address book and stored emails. Tremendous amount of storage space, 10mb file attachements, multiple personal email addresses, spam into special folders, all emails virus checked, the list goes on and on. Application based email such as Outlook is on the way out. New news from Yahoo which I have is that they will be modeling the look of their web mail to appear more like Outlook because people like the list of emails at the bottom and opened emails to be viewed at the top with special folders at the left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use Calypso. Doesn't have all the security flaws Outlook and Outlook Express do.

Tom

ditto on hotmail. Your e-mail address will never change no matter what ISP you use. Web-based mail can be accessed from anywhere.

Even gmail is a good option if you don't like hotmail.

Darin,

Having to change my email address is my biggest concern. I have had my current email addy for 5 years, and it would be nearly impossible to go back and remember everyone I have given it to in the past 5 years. Not to mention it's tied into my banking, and son's school and college fund, etc. I just don't want the headache if it can be avoided. Thanks for your help! -Heather

So if I use Outlook I have to change my current address, right? Hell I'm totally confused now! :wacko:

Whether or not u use outlook, your e-mail address will change to the new one tied to your ISP. What I was saying about hotmail is that once you get that e-mail address setup, you'll never have to worry about changing it again.

I use SBC DSL, but never use the e-mail account that was provided to me by SBC... so in case a better broadband option comes along, I won't have to worry about giving my family/friends a new e-mail address.

Darin,

I currently have ATT World.net. So since you use hotmail, but you pay for SBC DSL for your connection, does hot mail offer free email service like Yahoo does to a certain size limit , or do you have to pay for your hotmail as well? -Heather

Yes, you can get basic hotmail for free. I pay $19.95 a year for the full version which gives me 2GB of attachment space and POP3 access (means I can use Outlook to read my hotmail e-mail if I wish).

What is the advantage of using Outlook to read your hotmail emails? Why wouldn't you just get them directly from the hotmail site? Sorry if I sound like a dumb ass, but this is the first time I have changed ISP's since I got my home computer and started using it on a daily basis, so I have never encountered this problem before. Thanks -Heather

Good point, Heather... to be honest, I never use Outlook to read my hotmail e-mail. I find it more convenient to just access it via the website. It's available for those that 'grew up' on Outlook and need it for familiarity sake.

I pay the $19.95 a year to get more attachment space. It also allows me to send bigger attachments on outgoing e-mail. Great for e-mail pics to family while travelling.

Darin and Heather, Yahoo just announced that they are making their web based email more resemble the look of Outlook for the simple reason as Darin said most people grew up on Outlook at home or work. I also pay $19.95 per year for Yahoo Plus which gives me 2gb web storage and 10mb email attachments and once again full spam and virus protection. I can also set up dummy Yahoo email addresses as many as I want for instance if you want to sign up for something from the internet but don't want to provide your main email address. This cuts down on the spam and after you have got the use out of the dummy address you just cancel it. I am so much happier and it is so much more convenient since I switched to web mail over ISP mail.

Latest posts