OT: Pontiac Sunfire - Opinions please

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 97 Sunfire convertible with the 2.4 TwinCam & 5-spd manual... was a decent car! Sold it a year ago with 179k miles.

We had a 1998 Grand AM GT with a 2.4L TwinCam Sold it with 99,000 troublesome miles. I would not wish that engine on Gary S.;)

The straw that broke the camels back with a fuel pressure regulator that let my brother sit west of St. Louis, MO and I had to drive there to rescue him. We traded that car in the following day for a Ford with 136,000 miles. That Ford now has 178,000 miles.

Tom

Sounds like GM has never bought a free lunch for Tom...:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
tjr,

looks like it is in very good shape.

best of luck for your son & new ride.

btw, if it doesn't have 300k plus miles, it is not a reliable vehicle :lol:

Gary S, others...

So far, the issues are:

- wiper fluid leaks when filled

- driver's side window is STUCK in the down position (car in our garage).

The funny thing is the sales guy said that a new window motor was one of the recondition items they performed. I'm guessing loose wire from the install, because the other window and the sunroof are on the same circuit and they work, and I can hear NOTHING inside the door going on when the window button is pressed (still, could be the new motor burned out...but I'm hearing hoofbeats and thinking horses, not zebras).

The car goes in the shop on Thursday.

Our son is LOVING being a new car owner (only slightly sarcastic there).

TJR

UPDATE:

The car doesn't look "showroom new" anymore...

Our son just had his first accident.

I don't really think it was his fault.

Here are the details for those interested in that sort of thing...

Of course, it happened less than a mile from our home, on a major road (SR-113). It's a bidrectional road (one lane each way), 45mph speed limit. He was heading south, just cresting a small hill when a lady in a dark blue Toyota Camry was backing out onto the road to the right of him, and right in front of him. He hit his brakes and his horn at the same time, tried to swerve, but his right front (fender, headlight, bumper) clipped her left-rear. His Sunfire's headlight is cracked, corner of hood bent, fender is toast, and wheel well plastic all shot to hell. The other driver's Toyota's bumper cover was pretty much ripped off, and some side damage beneath the bumper cover.

The fact that the other driver was backing out onto a highway (SR-113) makes her responsible for yielding the right of way, as I understand it, so we will be looking to get his car repaired. We shouldn't even be out the deductible (if it's proven to be 100% her fault, which is the way I see it). Oh, and to make matters worse, the other driver was backing out off of a grassy area. She was trying to pull into her sister's house. It was very dark, she had someone tailgating her, and misjudged and accidently drove of the main road onto the lawn. Personally, I think that freaked her out and she just slammed it back into reverse without looking...but that's just conjecture on my part. I can see why my son might not be expecting to see a car back out onto the road BETWEEN to drive ways several hundred yards apart.

So, our son is bumming because he has been a good, concientious driver...and pretty safe too. He is hoping the car doesn't get totalled...it's book value even on the high-end is only around $5k dealer.

Oh well. No one was hurt.

TJR

UPDATE:

The other driver's insurance is picking up everything including a rental while in the shop. Estimate for the fix is around $2,700...which is within spitting distance of 75% of total value of the vehicle (would be *TOTALED* if at or above). My son is somewhat lucky there.

The hood is going to be repaired, not replaced. The fender, plastic wheel well, bumper cover, headlight assembly, badges and plastic cover over the radiator are all being replaced. The badges need replacing since the passenger door will be repainted to blend. All work is being guaranteed for as long as he owns the car.

Should have the car back sometime next week.

Fingers still crossed.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts