OT: My 2007 Toyota Tundra Impression

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Langel

Reaction score
So, as many may know I really like Toyota. I drive a 2005 Tundra and have really enjoyed it. About a month ago I saw pictures of the 2007 Tundra in full four doors; it looked really awesome.. very impressed with the looks.

The other day I went to the Toyota dealer because they had received 8 new Tundra extra cabs---- all ranging from SR5 to Limited.

My impression is as follows:

1. Cheap... cheap... cheap... Has Toyota lost their mind? The interior is so ridiculously cheesy The plastics are very thin and the buttons feel like they belong on a $30 Sony Walkman. Not impressed at all with the interior plastics. I liked the color combo (they had an orange leather interior), but other than that, very unimpressed.

2. Price. Almost $36 for a 4WD extended cab w/out leather... pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

3. It's big. I like the overall appeal.. big muscle truck, but once you sit in it you soon realize it's like sitting in the cabin of a jumbo jet.. no intimacy at all.

4. No comparison to quality feel like my Tundra. I feel my tundra is solid, no rattles or plastic pieces that go "snap crackle pop" when you push on them.

5. 5.7 engine is nice and gas mileage isn't bad at all ... if I recall correctly, a 4x4 5.7 is around 14/18... not bad...

All in all, if I were in the market for a new truck, Ford or GM would be on my list. Too much $$$$ for something that doesn't feel like it's worth.

BTW, I don't believe the Tundra is selling like they thought. It's only been a month, but hell, the same ones are on the lot that were there a week ago....

Has Toyota priced their new truck out of the market?

Have they fallen prey to cheap plastic crap?

Not impressed at all...

Anyone else seen one in person?

Your not the only Toyota owner that is complaining about the new cars and trucks. A friend has a 05 Tundra too and his lease is up soon and isn't impressed with any Toyota product and shares the same complaints as you do.

Big Al

I stopped in and looked at one just last week as a matter-of-fact. I like the front ends of the older Tundras, the new ones are a cross between the Dodge Ram and Chevy. I also was surprised at the quality of the "plastic" and how much of it there was. It really is funny to see someone else post this. I was going to the day I looked at it, but chickened out for fear of being tagged a "Toyota Hater".:D

I have always been a fan of Toyota since I owned my '89 Toy P/U but when I needed something to haul the kids and deer in, the ST seemed more appealing to me. I would have to go the Tacoma route if I were to go back to Toy unless they decide to follow Dodge with their Ram and Dakota and make it look like a Tundra Runt. It will be hard to steer me away from the new ST's if they are still being made when I'm on the market for a new vehicle.;)

I met a lot of the Toyota guys this summer flying back and forth from Atlanta and San Antonio. Several mentioned some of the cheaper interior parts being used. But their main focus was quality and performance. They didn't want to suffer the bad press and increased costs warranty/recall issues like Nissan had three years ago with the Titan. It may be built well, run hard, and stop (according to their commercials), but with cheap interior parts, it may not be all that in the consumer's eye. They are aiming for "truck" people like us, however they fail to account for the fact that most of us pay attention to the small things.

We bought a 2006 Corolla for a company vehicle. Problems like crazy! Including both front plastic pillars falling off. Thats why they call them Jap Junk!

I was reading on one of the auto mags that there is a dispute between Toyota North America and Toyota Japan on how to price it. Toyota here wanted to price it very competitively but Japan wants it premium priced to make up the costs of building the new plants for it.

George

I was reading on one of the auto mags that there is a dispute between Toyota North America and Toyota Japan on how to price it. Toyota here wanted to price it very competitively but Japan wants it premium priced to make up the costs of building the new plants for it.

If that's true, then they can go to hell with their truck. Do they honostly think a majority of truck buyers are going to spend 5-10k more on a truck because it's Toyota? I dont think so. I am a huge Toyota fan, but if I had to buy a new truck, it certainly would not be the Tundra.

The price needs to come down, but even then, the interior is crap.

F-150 has no worries.

F-150 has no worries.

Lets not forget that the F-150 was new several years ago. The competition has finally caught up with the truck leader. The F-250 has been redone, the F-150 will follow. Imagine what Ford will do when they step back in first place with the baddest truck on the planet.

Hopefully they will put the 4.5L V6 diesel in it. That would be sweet. 200 HP and 440 Lb Ft. Torque.

Tom

I can't wait to see all the magazines that will say how great the quality feel of the interior of the new Tundra is and how it is so much better than the one it replaces.

Anyone tired of those commercials on TV. On average I see them about 20 times a day.

Tom

I do not watch television, but I can bet the magazines are going to "recommend" the Tundra and give it excellent reliability ratings, even though it's only been out a month.

Motor Trend picked the Silverado in a head to head comparison. Decision seemed to be based mainly on price. Didn't say much about Tundra's interior other than it had "clever packaging". They said the Chevy interior was "just as well built". Oohwe. :rolleyes: Tundra's 5.7L did have performance and mileage advantages over 5.3L Chevy.

Look at the toyota add you can see that Ford superduties where there to build the set. Go to show you it taked a FORD to get the job done.

Our local Toyota dealer uses F-150's as parts runners to get parts from other dealers.

Tom