OT: John Deere LT155 Lawn Tractor - Replace Steering Column, etc

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Rogers

Reaction score
My 9 year old John Deere LT155 just went belly-up in the steering department. First, it started to click, and stick on extreme turns (mostly right), then more or less locked up straight.

Seems this model you only get 7 or 8 years out of the steering gears. I have about $140 in parts on order, and was trying to get the old parts (the column, the steering control unit, bushings) out.

Has anyone replaced the steering parts on a similar John Deere lawn tractor?

Well, I spent almost 2 hours and have everything loose, but the column doesn't drop cleanly out as their is a sway bar or somesuch that is black and part of the main undercarriage for holding the deck on that is in the way not letting it drop. That thing looks like a pain to take off, but I will if I have to. I just want to know that I have to.

I was trying to do this myself, but I am wondering now if it is even worth it. I am not sure how to get the column out, or the unit that mates with it (that has a V shaped piece of metal with gears along the one end and pivots back and forth to push the steering arms).

As I said, I have it all loose, it's just not coming out.

I would LOVE a service manual...and found one online, but it's almost $130.

If anyone has done this before, please chime in.

Thanks,

TJR

Have you checked ebay for a service manual. We got one for our John Deere STX38 off ebay for $10.00 shipped.

Tom

Caymen,

Yes, there is one on eBay. Auction ends tomorrow. I might try to snag it. Also, I will get a quote from my local dealer to fix. They are less than 1/2 mile from my house and I purchased the mower from them. They might want to work with me.

John Deere is a good name, but it seems they took a step backwards with the LT models.

TJR

Tom:

This is not so much a helpful message as a don't-get-too-down-on-Deere post. :cool:

They may have taken a step back, but they're still the best out there. My father had a 318 hydraulic that lasted for over 20 years. When it finally gave in, he was between a comparable Deere and a Cub Cadet 3000 series utility tractor. The Cadet cost about three grand less and had more creature comforts, plus hydraulic operation (front blade) and driveshaft-powered deck.

After three years, the Cadet has been in the shop more than the Deere was in 20 years.

In the whole scheme of things, a replaced part after nine years is pretty decent.

AdamC,

I had to replace the battery after 1 year (under warranty), the starter motor after 4 years at a cost of around $80 (easy to fix myself), and now the steering.

Yeah, not too bad...still.

Gavin, your mail hasn't come through yet. 6:15pm EST.

TJR

Tom, the dang PDF file is 66MB! Outlook choked on sending it. I tried to upload it to my MYST library, but no go.

Got any other ideas for me to send it to you?

Update: Seems like labor is only going to cost around $140, estimated. So, the tractor gets picked up on Wed.

They even said they wouldn't charge me extra because I already tried to fix it (like the funny sign at most repair places).

I priced new JDs while at the dealer....I think I will put money into this one.

TJR

Latest posts