OT - GM cancels Malibu hybrid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bah! Lets hear it for GM! So glad to see that Ford at least was willing to make it work BEFORE releasing it to the public. And people wonder why Ford didn't need help!

:banana:

Verbatim, Gary? Who was that?

Hybrids are not the way; they are, always have been, and always will be a technological dead end.

Make gasoline engines more than 30% efficient or make an all electric car.

I don't feel Hybrids are the way either. But they are a step in the right direction. They are a bridge to an all electric car. Hybrids won't tow our boats and we can't take them to the drag strip on the weekends. However, as a daily commuter, an all electric car is perfect. The Tesla is out there, but nobody can afford one and the market isn't exactly flooded with electric cars. Just takes time. Don't expect one tomorrow.

I don't know, but Ford ought to jump on this opportunity to partner with these guys. I've been following Capstone for a while, their turbines are a pretty cool bit of engineering.

I'm just surprised it's only 80MPG.

CHATSWORTH, Calif., June 11, 2009 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Capstone Turbine Corporation (www.capstoneturbine.com) (Nasdaq:CPST), the world's leading clean technology manufacturer of microturbine energy systems, today announced that its C30 liquid fueled microturbine has been successfully integrated into a Ford S-Max people carrier in the United Kingdom.

A photo accompanying this release is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=6263

To see a promotional video of the "Whisper" please click on the following link: http://www.capstoneturbine.com/whisper_promo.wmv

Langford Performance Engineering (www.lpengines.com), headquartered in Wellingborough England, designed and modified the Ford S-Max seven seat crossover vehicle into a series hybrid plug in vehicle with a C30 under the hood as an electric range extender. Langford reports that the "Whisper Eco-Logic" car gets up to 80 mpg in early stage demonstration testing.

"The Ford modified by Langford is an extremely practical solution and one that Langford has been working on for over two years," said Jim Crouse, Capstone's Executive Vice President, Sales and Marketing. "The design characteristics of Capstone's turbine permits ultra low emissions, high fuel economy, multi fuel capability, no coolants or lubricating oil, and little to no maintenance in an automotive application," added Crouse.

"Our Whisper Eco-Logic vehicle is a plug in electric car with an on board turbine generator to keep the batteries charged and extend the range of the car beyond that of a typical electric vehicle," said Dick Langford, Langford's Founder and Managing Director. "This sets it apart from the hybrids now available such as the Lexus and Toyota which use conventional 4 stroke engines to provide both vehicle drive and battery charging. In early demonstration testing the car is getting up to 80 miles per gallon and travels 40 miles on electric power before the Capstone turbine generator starts up and charges the lithium ion batteries," added Langford.

"Capstone was founded on the concept of a C30 powering hybrid vehicles so it is extremely gratifying to see the Langford Ford with a C30 under the hood," stated Darren Jamison, Capstone's President and Chief Executive Officer. "Langford did an exceptional job integrating the turbine, power electronics and batteries into the vehicle without impacting any of the seven seats or increasing the overall vehicle weight," added Jamison.

Langford Engineering will be marketing and demonstrating the plug in hybrid vehicle in hopes of further developing this concept with a suitable automotive partner who could commercialize the product for U.S. use and capitalize on a portion of the Obama administration's $2.4 billion outlined in the stimulus fund to get more electric vehicles on U.S. roads.

I don't know why you couldn't put a dynamo on the rear wheels of a FWD hybrid car and let the back tires generate a little more electricity for the on-board batteries. It would make the car go even farther. I do realize there is a point of diminishing returns, but it might work.

I think GM's Voltec drivetrain has more potential. With the internal combustion engine only powering the generator, the engine can be programmed to run at it's most efficient point. It should also be very adaptable to towing, considering that it uses the same basic principle as a diesel locomotive, assuming they can develop (or license) a compact high-torque electric motor.

Latest posts