OT: Building PC need help.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James FreemanJr

Reaction score
Ok well the first PC I built by myself (lasted 9 yrs) finally died and I've been buying components for a new build (started putting it all together tonight) and was wondering if I should use my new 500gb SATA as a main drive and my older 250gb IDE drives (have 2 of them) as storage or the SATA for storage?

Thanks.

Depends on what to plan to use the computer for. My media center I used the IDE as primary and SATA as media storage so that when it's being accessed through the network it would hopefully be faster.

I suggest if making a "new build" go with "new parts". I agree and say use the SATA. Can always upgrade at a later time on other drives for storage. But should always update the drives. Sometimes older "used drives" carry crap onto the new system and still make something mess up. I have 3 different hard drives on my new built puter, 1x-80gig internal IDE for the regular puter stuff, 1x-160gig internal IDE for DVD stuff, and 1x-80gig external USB for media/music. My puter is going on being 10years old. Seems old but still runs like a champ.

Yes. Use the SATA as your main drive, and the others as storage. You'll appreciate the speed of the SATA when Windows or your favorite application or game is loading.

I concur with the others, use the SATA as your system drive, and my advice is save up and buy a sata for data as well. The IDE may slow things down a bit.

SATA the wya to go plus they are cheap now. I partition 50 gigs just for the OS. 50 gigs for programs go on another partition and all my files go on an external drive. Soon, to go on an external raid system. Much easier to backup plus I never have OS issues. I've been doing something similiar for the last 5 years on my PCs with no problems.

Always use the newer drive. As cheap as HD's are these days you may eventualy upgrade your storage to a SATA.

Info needed though? what is needed to run a SATA drive compared to a IDE? I have no experience with the SATA, thats why I ask. Say if I wanted to keep my current system, with out changing the motherboard, what is needed to make the upgrade? I know they are faster, and sooner or later IDE will die out like a-tracks did.

I gotcha, thanks for the heads up. Then it looks like I better buy all the IDE's HD I can find. My system is about to go on 10years old. I seem to upgrade every year something, but oh, well. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shyvdnlayd, to keep your system without changing your motherboard and move from IDE to SATA you would first have to see if you motherboard supports SATA. Anything older than 3 or 4 years old probably doesn't. Anything newer might. Many mobos that came out the past few years supported both; now more and more you see those that only support SATA.

TJR

You can always buy a PCI SATA controller card if you are not looking to upgrade your mobo. Thanks for the help guys now my problem is the mobo I bought has on-board VGA and my monitor is DVI but I do have a AGP 9800PRO that has DVI and VGA inputs. Is there anyway of setting it up? Or do I need a VGA monitor to set the 9800 up so I can use my monitor? When I turn on the PC the screen is blank but the PC is running. I guess I'll run to my parents tomorrow and borrow one of there VGA monitors.

If the AGP card is connected and you know what key gets you into the bios you could try to get into the bios and see if the monitor comes up so that you can disable the on-board video. Also check to see if there is a jumper to disable the on-board video.

shvnlayd - I would run straight IDE if your mobo doesn't support SATA. A controller will allow you to run a SATA drive but that adds more processes to the data flow and consumes more power.

ions - You just need to disable the onboard graphics and set up the card. I have the 9800Pro as well and I've been pleased. Be sure the drivers are up to date for the card after install. It is on the Microsoft HAL so they provide a driver if needed.

If your planning on keeping this new system for a long time, it sounds like you do, then buy a new mother board (without on-board graphics). And get a new power supply. You will need the new power connectors and probably the extra power. You can build a kick-ass system for around $500 (without software) if you shop around. Don't skimp if your planning on using it for several years.

Ions - Could always save some space, get a good card with S-Video output and just hook it up with the cord to the TV. I have my desktop hooked up to my 55" big screen, saves space in the room, save money in my pocket for no desk. Then just need a wireless mouse and keyboard and a couch to relax on.

Thats the problem tho I don't see anything that will disable on-board video on the mobo (like a jumper) and I can't disable it untill I can see the bios which my monitor wont allow cause its a DVI monitor only.

In Windows XP you disable it in device manager.

I've never disabled onboard video when slapping in an AGP card....it's always "just worked" for me.

TJR

this is a brand new install with formated h/d that has no OS on it and a brand new mother board. I know HOW to disable an on-board video IN XP and also in the Bios but I can't see anything cause the drivers for my video card aren't installed and I have no VGA monitor. I guess no one unstands what I'm trying to say.

Ions,

You probably can't do what you are trying to do. Someone above said "don't buy a mobo with onboard video". Your predicament is exactly the reason to avoid that advice.

What I have always done is to install the OS using the onboard video and an old, crappy VGA monitor I have lying around. Once about every other driver and chipset installed and working (in other words, one of the last things I do) is install the advanced graphics card. I do this after the OS is completely installed and tweaked the way I like it.

By doing it then, you typically just need to plunk in the AGP (or PCI-E) card, and then hook up a monitor to the new card (whether it supports DVI or VGA, or whatever). By default, and even without drivers installed every advanced graphics card I have used will run in default VGA mode until it's custom drivers are installed.

However, if you plunk in the graphics card and try to run the OS installation from CD, there never seems to be enough native graphics drivers for the installation to start and be seen.

TJR

Yea I tried to find a board without on-board video but they were all $200+ and had PCI-E which I didnt wanna buy cause I have a perfectly good AGP card (I dont game much but game enough that the on board wouldnt keep up) I guess I'll install everything AFTER the OS is in. Thanks.