OT: Any Escape Owners?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Gamble

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a car for my kid whose going off to college. With Wisconsin winters, I'm leaning towards a Ford Escape 4x4 XLT.

I was looking around and found a 02 XLT 4x4 with 85k miles. Anyone have an opinion about these compact SUV's?

Thanks,

Larry

I have the 05 Mazda Tribute, same car as the Escape made in the same factory, I think the grill is the only difference. It has been a good vehicle, never been back to the dealer for anything, unlike my ST. I have 45,000 miles on it and so far it has given me no trouble at all.

I just sold an '06 Mariner Premier with 85k on it. It was badass, though. Fun little truck.

Wife had an '01 escape xlt. It had the 3.0L v6, 4x2. Had almost 50k miles on it when we lost it in the houston floods, August of '07. The only problems were cosmetic in the first year. Never any major problems. The DPFE sensor went bad while under warranty, same as alot of '01 tracs. Wife liked it well enough to replace it with an '08 escape xlt v6. It is coming up on 10K miles. Never been back for any problems yet. It gets 19mpg mixed and 26 to 27 on the highway. It is a fun little suv to drive. The v6 has plenty of power and not bad on gas. We drove a 4cylinder rental. I wasnt impressed with the power after it shifts to second. It could be a little anemic loaded down.

Throw the back seat down, there is decent space for a college students stuff. Wife is a teacher it helped her haul stuff around. What I like about the '08 is it comes standard with 6 airbags and roll stability control.

With gas prices like they are. If I had to replace the trac I wouldnt hesitate to buy one for myself. But I :wub: my trac.

My mother in law has an 04 Escape with 135000 miles in it. the vehicle has been trouble free except the usual maintenance items. She loves the truck and travels extensively. Hope this helps..

Bob

My sister had an 05 Escape XLT 4x4 and now an 08 XLT 4x4. I have driven both many times and they are a great vehicle. Fun little suv to drive and with the V6 it has nice power. No problems and it was always reliable.

George

I sell these vehicles and they are not rated the number one compact suv in canada for nothing. Great vehicle, lots of ways you can configure the interior to suit all your needs and they are decent on gas. I would also look into getting a used 08 Escape XLT 4x4. Up hear in Canada at our dealership we are selling used 08 Rentals with 22,000klm for $21,995. We bought these on the Ford auction for $19,800. Now I know this may be a little high if you are in the states, but it gives you a rough idea of what you can get with a little more money and still factory warranty. You have to understand that these vehicles in Canada are $31,000. If you go with an 07 Escape or even an 06 Escape you can be down in the very low teens for price range. This allows you to get a newer vehicle for your daughter and give you peace of mind that any problems that could arrise are taken car of when she is out of town and all she has to do is bring it to a dealer rather then find a mechanic that is not trust worthy. Just my two cents.

Regards,

Patrick Pierobon

Thanks for all the replies.

sounds like it's a great little SUV, whether it's a Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner or Mazda Tribute.

I work with some wholesalers and one like I described is about $6k at auction.

I'll keep an eye out for these when I'm at the auctions now. Previously, I've never really noticed them so I didn't know anything about them.

Latest posts